Where Argies Think You Are From?

I cannot EVER be in a taxi without the driver asking "Vo' no so' de acá, no?" I have started to message a friend saying how many seconds it takes before they ask. (Actually, I lie, yesterday I took a taxi and the driver didn't ask, hooray!) Sometimes I don't mind but I am SO tired of answering why I am here and why I would want to be here when Norway is so nice and organized and cold, and I often just want to sit there quietly. So I definitely prefer the bus haha!

When they guess, they usually say Sweden. La Sueca Larsson has made an impact here.

I got a look of pity one time when I said I relocated from the US to Argentina, "awwww, did it not go well for you over there?". Because obviously that's the only reason one would move to Argentina, if everything over there fell apart for me, obviously. :rolleyes: Nope, everything is fine over there, I just like it here.

Then I get a look that's something like this: :mellow: :wacko: :blink: :unsure: :huh:

Brazilian means your Spanish is decent enough, accent obviously foreign but not clear enough to place you. Take it as a compliment*.

I can attest to this. As my Spanish has improved, I am more regularly asked if I'm Brazilian. I'm a US Citizen. Occasionally, someone will try to say something to me in Portuguese. Me: blank stare. As I have no idea what they are saying.

A few years ago, one of the teachers at the jardin my daughter attended thought we spoke Portuguese at home. She had studied Portuguese and spent more than a week using Portuguese sayings with my daughter at the start of the year. My then 4 year old came home and told us that one of the teachers was speaking Portuguese to her and she didn't understand. We were impressed our daughter understood that it was Portuguese and we had a good laugh at the jardin the next day.

I am a native New Yorker of Irish descent who has been here for 36 years I don't particularly like conversations with cabbies or barbers even in the U.S. So,in the beginning,especially during the military dictatorship and the Malvinas War,I began saying that I was,"Bulgaro" to avoid any type of political discussion.It worked beautifully End of conversation.After all this time, I am no longer asked but I still don't enter into long conversations .In Brazil I speak "portuñol" and in Chile they immediately take me as Argentine..

Man, 36 years is a long time to be here. You must really have some stories to tell! Could make another interesting thread if it hasn't already been done- Which non-native forum member has lived here the longest??

Interesting this Brazilian thing. I'm Dutch and think I look Dutch i.e. soy rubia. Sometimes I am asked if I'm from the Ukraine?????? 80% of the time however I'm asked where in Brazil I'm from. I once asked a Brazilian guy I used to work with as we always speak Spanish together and as I thought it made no sense whatsoever but he agreed that I had a Portuguese accent speaking Spanish. Now if only I could also speak Portuguese....

I can attest to this. As my Spanish has improved, I am more regularly asked if I'm Brazilian.

We can't all be Gisele! ;)

It's either this or maybe Brazilians have a bad reputation as Spanish speakers. Who knows!

I am still trying to gain back my Australian accent, though. That came from a guy who saw and heard me speaking in 4 different occasions. That was a real compliment!

People think i look Argentine , I`m English and my ancestors were English/Scottish, I even convinced an American tourist I was local when he was asking me directions in basic spanish. I spoke back in my basic spanish for about 2 minutes and then we discovered we could both understand each better in English.

Camberiu o icone nao sempre significa nada da pessoa por exemplo tem um rapaz que tem um pedaco de carne como icone!
que bom que tem brasileiros aqui no site!

De vez em quando aparece algum, mas acabam desaparecendo depois de um tempo. Acho que sou o mais constante pot aqui. Vamos ver se voce muda isso.

I usually play the game.

"De donde sos?" - "A ver si me ubicas por el acento".

Normally followed by a shake of the head and a guess, normally Israel (my appearance makes it plain that I am Jewish, so Israel is an easy wild guess) or Brazil.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
garryl Newcomers Forum 24
camberiu Expat Life 0
gsi16386 Expat Life 4
A Expat Life 62
Back