Where Argies Think You Are From?

They know I'm not from here because I don't use vos or its conjugations... but they can't place it. When I say the US they're usually surprised... when I tell them I have a Spanish mother, it all makes sense. But now I rarely get asked. I think I picked up enough of the Argentine way of speaking that as long as the conversation is short and I don't say any obviously-not-Argentine words, like vale or tu, they don't seem to notice. My Spanish family says I speak with an Argentine accent... completely involuntary. :)

My last name is distinctly German, but nobody has ever thought I was German or anything close.

For the month I was here everyone referred to me as The Gringo with the Colombians! At one neighborhood Italian restaurat near Cervino and Sinclair they referred to one of their dishes as the "Gringo's Dish!" They did that for me because 3 of the 4 sets of grandparents ate there; one couple forgot the name of the dish (Pacherri con asparigi) they said the dish the American had whenever he ate there. They said Ah the gringo's dish!"

I've never been an Ugly American when in a foreign country but at 6'2" and 275# I do standout in most crowds!

For some reason I would get Chilean quite a lot... I'm Welsh, but have dark hair and features so I could blend in quite well as I tend to do anywhere that traditionally the people have dark hair/eyes etc (I've had waiters in Turkish restaurants in London insist on speaking Turkish to me, even though I've never even been there!). People always spoke to me first as well rather than my partner, who is no blondie either, but his hair is a shade lighter than mine. Good thing really as his Spanish was awful!

Anyone who has cared to ask assumes I'm Colombian because I am always around Colombians. Now, back where I'm from, I've been called everything from Venezuelan to Polish, even before traveling abroad. Guess I've always felt like a foreigner no matter where I go.

EricLoves BA Thanks for your comment.Drop around to the Coffee Chats sometime and you can hear mine and other members interesting stories.

The other day someone asked me if I was from the Ukraine which I thought was really random! I've had people guess French and Italian more often than not. The rest of the time they guess the US which is correct.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
garryl Newcomers Forum 24
camberiu Expat Life 0
gsi16386 Expat Life 4
A Expat Life 62
Back