Where can I buy art for my apartment?

Thuraya

Registered
Hi all,

I'd like to buy some interesting, original paintings or prints to decorate my apartment. Nothing too crazy, reasonably affordable, but unique and with onda. Upward limit for one piece, 500 pesos. I was thinking of the San Telmo feria, and I'm not really interested in the Falabella type of decorations. Any other suggestions??

Thanks!

Art is a pretty personal thing, in terms of aesthetics. One persons love is another's basura.

That said, if you are looking for more contemporary stuff, check out the building at 2729 Santa Fe, Laprida/Anchorena, which is a center of little art galleries and stores and books- not fancy, very much hipster ad hoc, with cheap real local art for sale.

http://www.mitegaleria.com.ar/

http://buenos-aires.cityseekr.com/venue/390933-purr-libros

The San Telmo Sunday market has some excellent, inexpensive art in two different places. I also have a friend with a gallery/frame shop with excellent, inexpensive art. We have bought pieces from both places. Her shop is on the edge of Palermo soho at honduras 5260. The shop is gabriola and my friends are Laura and acasio. Hope this helps.

Mercado libre is very good. Another good fair is the Mataderos fair.

TheBlackHand said:
There's some really nice pieces there. Not that i'm an expert or anything.

Thanks. I only bought paintings that appealed to me...keeping in mind the history and status of the artist. Almost all of the paintings I have are by artists who are deceased and are listed in directories (aka dictionaries) of Argentine artists. One of my favorites is Jose Luis Menghi of La Boca. He died in 1984. There was a special showing of his works at arteba in 2002. He was a member of the Groupo de La Boca along wih Fortunado LaCamera and Q. Martin. The Museo Bella Artists in La Boca bears Martins name and paintings by LaCamera and Menghi hang side by side in one wing of the museum.

Martin, LaCamera, and Cordiviola are considered among the top 100 painters in the 200 plus year history of art in Argentina.

If you enter any artist's name whose works I have for sale in a Mercado Libre search you can see how my prices compare to other sellers. .

I'm very happy to have the portrait of Menghi by LaCamera in my collection. It is in the blog www.joseluismenghi.blogspot.com.

Thuraya, If you don't see anything that you want in my ML listings or in my blogs please let me know. . I have more paintings by other artists and haven't updated the blogs in quite some time. I have paintings of rural Argentina by several artists as well as works by Cesear Mara, Clemente Lococo, Manuel Claro Betinelli, Stella Hansen, Roberto Rossi, and others. I also have a few paintings by Juana Lummerman that were painted in Brazil and feature dancers of African descent performing the forbidden Candombe in the moonlight. One of her paintings from this period sold at Southby's in NYC in 1995. The best "values" are the groups of four, six, and nine paintings that are listed on Mercado Libre.

Back