Where Can I Get Pesos To My Dollar Safely?

canadababe

Registered
I have brought dollars with me to Argentina. I want to know where I can change my money safely and legally at the blue rate. This strange situation is confusing. The places I have found in Recoleta and Alto Palermo have horrible rates. I only found out that you could do better from reading various threads on this website. Thank you!

You find horrible rates because the blue rate is not legal, hence not publicly offered.

i think some expat that need uss will be happy to do it with you.

I got a guy who will send someone to your place. He prefers USD $1000 or more and hundred dollar bills, so be up front with what you have and he'll be up front with the rate. I did it over a month ago at 7.50. PM me for his contact info. Failing that, there is always xoom.com, which is at 7.18 now, but they charge fees so it actually works out to less (depends on how much you send). Also, xoom.com won't help with the cash you already have here.

A reliable and safe address is near subte station Juramente. It's an office at the intersection of Av. Cabildo and Juramento, at the opposite side of the street from an Ateneo (bookshop) branch. Look for the office with milk-glass windows.

I changed there twice, two weeks ago I got 7.5p for my usd.

Thank you! That's very helpful. It is crazy that they do not let tourist benefit from blue rates -

Methinks your grasp of the "Blue Rate" concept is slightly inaccurate.

Thank you! That's very helpful. It is crazy that they do not let tourist benefit from blue rates -

How is it crazy that tourists get treated the same way as everyone else?

I think you are misunderstanding the situation. As a tourist, you have access to the same process for exchanging dollars as an expat or argentine. "Blue" rate is a euphemism. It's a black market. In other words illegal (though currently tolerated by the powers that be).

You asked for a safe place to change your dollars at 7 pesos per dollar. In reality, you are asking for a safe place to do something that is technically illegal. An argentine friend asked me the same question this week. The only thing I could tell her is go to Florida and hope for the best.

Back