where can I legalize my birth certificate

techno

Registered
Where can I get my birth certificate legalized. I read I need to get it legalized by the Argentine Consulate in my country of origin. Now does that include the US embassy in Argentina? If I was in Argentina would I have to come back to the US to do that? Can someone tell me how I can do that while living in Argentina?

Do you mean geeting it apostilled? I had to send mine to the department of state in New Jersey. When you get it apostilled you have to translate it and legalize it here in Argentina.

I don't know if it means "apostilized" it just says on many of the websites when you are trying to get citizenship that a birth certificate needs to be legalized. I have my original birth certificate already. I just don't know what "legalized" is meaning. Has someone here had to do this?

Thanks

Your birth certificate (post 2000 official copies) requires the seal of the Apostille from the Secretary of State (in the USA) or other office where it was issued and then needs to be translated and then legalized in Argentina. The translator can get it legalized for you as part of that service.

Just curious: Are you actually applying for citizenship or a resident visa?

I do have a stamped official b.certificate with the seal on it. I don't know if it is post 2000.

I was just preparing to for living here and want to be legal. I need the resident visa for 2 years so I'm going for the long term visa. Then I'll go for citizenship once the 2 years is up.

Now, If I do need to get a different b.certificate post 2000 "apostilized" can I just send the by mail or do I have to show up there in the US and do it?

Ya, that is really another question. How can one stay the full 2 years in AR when they have to get a stamp every three months if they have a tourist visa???

That is why I'm looking to do the permanent residence thing. If a person can just stay in Argentina on a tourist visa for 2 years then I'd opt to just do that. Is that possible then go for citizenship? Probably not cause a passport would show the stamps of leaving and returning therefore there is no full 2 years.

techno said:
Ya, that is really another question. How can one stay the full 2 years in AR when they have to get a stamp every three months if they have a tourist visa???

That is why I'm looking to do the permanent residence thing. If a person can just stay in Argentina on a tourist visa for 2 years then I'd opt to just do that. Is that possible then go for citizenship? Probably not cause a passport would show the stamps of leaving and returning therefore there is no full 2 years.

I'm sorry, but I think you need to do some additional research.

You can't get a permanent resident visa (now) unless you marry an Argentine or another permanent resident, or are the parent of a child born in Argentina.

After one year you can apply for citizenship with a lawyer like Bajo_cero2 (a member here.

The stamp on your birth certificate doesn't legalize it. It must be apostiled by the sec'y of state where it was issued. Once you have that, you have to have it translated here by a certified translator.

However as steveinbsas says, you are no longer eligible for permanent residency after 2 (I thought it was 3) years of permanent residency unless you get married to an Argentine/resident or have a child here.

Also - what type of long-term visa are you attempting to get? You will need additional paperwork depending on the type of visa. You also need to get your FBI report which takes from 8-12 weeks.

Back