where to buy a nice mate gourd, thermos, bag etc.

buenoseria

Registered
Hi All,
I'm heading back to the States for a wedding, and as a wedding gift I want to surprise the couple with a nice mate set--gourd, bombilla, thermos, and traditional rectangular carrying case. I'm looking for something usable, classic, and not super touristy. Does anyone have suggestions on where I can buy a set like this (without spending tons of money)?

Thanks!

Allison

buenoseria.com

Its not quite as complete as what you are describing, but Rosamonte has a nice gift set that includes a simple bombilla and gourd, and a kilo of mate, that is very cheap- something like 50 pesos.

The gourds kind of suck. I've taken to looking for either glass or a leather wrapped glass mate that looks like a gourd. Gourds are absolutely not worth the hassle and when it molds over that first time they use it, they'll never use it again.

You might consider wandering around ONCE. The TERMOS here are about twice what they are over in Uruguay. The best deals are either in Once, or on Calle Florida after 5pm when the street gets flooded with local vendors selling stuff that they bought "por mayor" in Once.

The bombillas are also suspect. I'd spring for a good one in the shape of a spoon with a ton of small holes. Those don't get clogged.

They sell the leather carrying cases in Once as well. I can't tell you where and the fact that you're only buying one instead of 10 will mean that you're not going to save a ton. But if you buy all of these items in one place, you might get a bit of a deal.

I would think that you'll end up spending at least 100 pesos WITHOUT A CASE if you are looking to buy a serviceable Termo/Bombilla/Mate. Then the cases will be ~$40 to $60 for cloth or $100 or more if you want leather.

If you cure your gourd properly it shouldn't mold over. It will take on a darker colour.

There are a few different philosophies on curing the gourd -- some with sugar and a piece of charcoal from the parilla, some just cure it with mate itself, some people scrape out the interior manually. We've had best results when using the mate method. We also leave our mate in the gourd until it is dry before throwing it out. We have one of the large gourd in leather mates.

Google around, there's a whole bunch of pages on curing. You should not have a moldy gourd.

http://www.mymateworld.com/how_to_cure_a_yerba_mate_gourd.htm

http://www.yerbaguru.com/catalog/information.php?info_id=15

Hey, while were on the topic of mate, I have a question for any of those who may be in the knowing. I'm in the market for a more modernish looking gourd but i have yet to find anything worthy of a purchase. The other day I saw a woman drinking out of the greatest little bright orange gourd. It looked like it was made of rubber or something along those lines. Would anyone know of any shops in the city that might sell something similar? I have seen some nice looking modern ceramic ones that I may have to resort to.

Napoleon - I'm so sorry to hear you have moldy gourd problems:p

I've never had one mold - I do the same as syngirl and cure it with the yerba. (And I've been known to put a splash of whiskey in there as well:D)

Back