Where to find a map store?

Valkyrie

Registered
Hi all,

I'm a geographer and writer here in Buenos Aires for surgery (which went well!) as well as trying to do a little work/research while I'm recuperating. I'm curious if anyone knows where I can find an actual map store - if such a thing exists here?

I know about the Centro de Argentina Cartography at the Instituto Geografico Militar on Av. Cabildo 381, but haven't had a chance to get there or connect with someone there in advance.

Thanks for any assistance! If you're curious, I'm specifically looking for Argentina maps related to the Falklands/Malvinas issue (something better than just a standard Argentina country map).

Thanks all,

Kate

The Instituto Geografico Militar on Cabildo has very good topographic maps, although I doubt they include the Malvins/Falklands. If you want to travel in Argentina and need road maps, try the ACA's cartography department on Av. Libertador 1850 - phone: 4808-4000.

Good luck.

Valkyrie said:
(snip) If you're curious, I'm specifically looking for Argentina maps related to the Falklands/Malvinas issue (something better than just a standard Argentina country map).

My understanding is that the only substantial twentieth century surveys of the islands have been carried out by the British and that in 1982 Argentine forces used maps based on British cartography (may even have used British maps, I don't know for sure) The different departments that have taken responsibility for this in the past are now amalgamated into the Ministry for Overseas Development (or whatever they are calling it today.) The British Ministry of Defence (MOD) has maps of certain south Atlantic islands including the ones you are interested in available in .pdf format on its website. I hope this is of some help.

Thanks all for your suggestions and help, I greatly appreciate it! I'm heading to the IGM office tomorrow and they should have what I'm looking for, at least for this trip. :)

Back