Where to find baking supplies?

I brought measuring cups and spoons from the States but I recently found (and purchased) a glass measuring cup at MODERNO BAZAR on Santa Fe. It has BOTH USA and Metric systems. I don´t remember if they had measuring spoons there but they have a lot of kitchen stuff and it´s not very expensive.

http://www.modernobazar.com/
Santa Fe 2726

MacDaddy said:
Yes, I realize the measurement system here is metric (and that's a good thing! far easier to divide and multiply..), but that doesn't obviate the need to measure things, does it? I still can't understand it.. but then, as others said, I guess people here don't really bake, other than the occasional roast.

Thanks for all the replies! Very informative.

Of course you measure stuff. The dry ingredients get weighted instead of measured out in a cup. So, your recipes will be for example 300grams flour, 300grams sugar, 100 grams butter, etc. which you will weigh out on a scale.

The liquids are measured in a cup/jug which as Oxente said you will find cups that have US & metric measures on the side.

I'm going to have to go to Dona Clara one of these days. It seems they have everything in one place!

Went to Dona Claras yesterday and purchased an oven thermometer (german) for 38 pesos. Works a treat! Cooked a gluten free beer bread loaf perfectly! Would not have been possible without the thermometer as the required temp was much lower than I had previous guessed.
They also take credit cards and sell icing (confectioners) sugar very cheaply compared to other places, and many other things I have not seen here. i.e. xanthin gum.
website address www.donaclara.com.ar

You should got to los Bazares Gastronómicos. Close to where I live in San Cristobal is a major corridor for these places. Go to the corner of Jujuy and San Juan. Then walk south down Jujuy for a few blocks and both sides of the street are filled with nothing but these bazars.

The prices are absolutely amazing, low, low, and this seems like where the restaurants stock up. Most all the dishes are white and glasses are clear, not made as home decor accents but standard restaurant grade. Supermarkets way overprice for this stuff; I got 4 large heavy duty glasses for 12 pesos!!! But they have every kind of cooking and kitchen element you can imagine...one place is even stocked up on the vino penguinos.

Plus, because there are so many places right in a row, you can stop by several places to ask how much x, y, or z costs if you are worried about getting the fair market price or the yanqui price, something you always have to be on the lookout for as a foreigner. But no one has ever tried to cheat me there...so far.

You all were so helpful with my initial query that I have another, related one for you:
Is there anywhere in BA that sells brown sugar or molasses?
Many recipes call for these, but I haven't been able to source these ingredients here. Strange, since so much of the world's sugar comes from neighboring Brazil.

Thanks in advance!

Dona Clara sells brown sugar. Don't know about molasses.

In Canada we can't seem to fully commit to metric, so our measures usually have both and you end up knowing approx measures -- the thing that always throws me are ounces, so those I check online before I cook.

Basic approx measures:

a little less than 250 ml = 1 cup
125 ml = 1/2 c
A tablespoon is about 15ml
A tsp is about 5ml

I bake and cook a tonne here -- I usually use recipes from epicurious. I don't do exact measures, apart from the first time out for a recipe or for cakes -- what's important is the ratios of liquid to dry (and the all important egg which can throw things). I usually check measure conversions online if it's a recipe I haven't tried before.

For your one cup liquid measure you can improvise with a jam jar or what have you -- check the quantity on the label. I've been using a tumbler for three years that I know where the 250ml mark is, the half cup etc. Hasn't failed me yet.

The other key is learning your oven. I don't have a thermometer either but I know my oven pretty well so I have a good idea as to how long things need to cook. Just experiment a bit, after awhile you'll know the texture of your batter pretty well and will be able to adjust flour / liquids to compensate for your oven's personality.

Gas ovens tend to be more moist than an electric so things don't necessarily rise as they would in an electric. Some people do use baking stones in their ovens to temper the moisture. Also realise that your gas is different in winter than summer due to demand, so in August you may need to crank up the gas but in January you'll need it all the way down.

Cookie sheets -- be aware that a dark cookie sheet and a stainless / light colored one will have different cooking times -- most of the ovens here only fit one sheet at a time anyway so not so much of a problem.

Budin/Loaf Pans -- the one I have at least is much larger than at home, so I have to 1.5x most recipes to fill it.

Muffins -- I found some silicon ones awhile ago at Falabella that are "normal" size -- ie not mini-muffins -- there are a few kitchen shops in the shoppings that carry them, but for me the best baking supplies are still at Dona Clara or on Junin (although Jumbo does carry some of the Dona Clara baking pans).

melissaabalo said:
The metric system still uses cups and spoons :)

Sure. There's a mix. I weigh flour, sugar, butter but use spoons for baking powder/soda, wet ingredients, etc. But usually the recipes that I'm used to are either in one or they other include both for all ingredients as Syngirl describes. When I write down the recipes, I use a combination of both.

For your one cup liquid measure you can improvise with a jam jar or what have you -- check the quantity on the label. I've been using a tumbler for three years that I know where the 250ml mark is, the half cup etc. Hasn't failed me yet.
My aunt has a really good recipe for chocolate cake. The problem is that she uses her tea cup. I don't know what the translation for that tea cup is! I've asked her to weight it but she never gets around to it. My best guess is it's 3/4 cup. :)

I finally bought an oven thermometer. It's a good thing to as my over runs super super hot even on low (as I just found out). I used to have to check every 5mins. Recipes that say bake for 60 mins are usually done in 30. Now that I have the temp closer to what it should be I can do other things and not baby sit the over so much.

MacDaddy said:
You all were so helpful with my initial query that I have another, related one for you:
Is there anywhere in BA that sells brown sugar or molasses?
Many recipes call for these, but I haven't been able to source these ingredients here. Strange, since so much of the world's sugar comes from neighboring Brazil.

Thanks in advance!

I have found brown sugar (the soft, light brown and small grained type that we're used to in the States not the big dark heavy chunky crystallized kind) in Barrio Chino (Casa China)! They sell it in big bags, and it's along where they sell the rice, dried beans, and dried fruits. Gotta love that place.

I, too, would LOVE to hear if anybody knows where to buy molasses! I used the last of mine on Gingerbread men last holiday season...

Back