Where to find French/style baguette

Lucas said:
Maybe you are right and I am wrong what about that? make you happy?

One thing is for sure HERE THE BREAD IS NOT HORRIBLE maybe it is for you...but then it is your opinion

Good luck in your quest to find a baguette with that elusive french flavor.

Au Revoir ami

My local panadaria has a wonderful selection of bread, though I doubt it could possibly compete with a French Baguette for a French person.
The range of tastes is fantastic all shapes and sizes, I particularly like the cheesy and onion breads. It is always fresh and smells devine, Horrible? I think not.

For my tastes, good bread is surprisingly rare in Bs.As. But it does exist! My own favorite panadería is near Cabildo, on La Pampa, if I remember correctly: tasty, varied, nutritious -- but a bit costly, to be sure.

i gotta agree with a few people above- disco really does have good bread. I'm eating it now, in fact. it's delicious. I'm sure other places have good too. not sure where the "It is not secret that Bread in Argentina is Horrible" thing came from, haha.

Cheers!

I stopped buying bread at Disco almost three years ago (after my first purchase). La Minion on Blvd Charcas at Bulnes has decent baguettes...far better than Disco.

Most confeterias in Recoleta do, too.

(I spent three months in Paris before I found the "best" baguettes I could get there.)

One of my favorite restaurants in BsAs is Thymus, Lerma 525 on the corner of Malavia. They make their own bread, white and brown, and I find the white bread to be world class - crusty, fresh and very tasty. They serve it with a small (ask for seconds) plate of butter with fresh ground black pepper and coarse salt on the side.
VERY GOOD !!!

The menu is ambitious, but IMHO not as perfectly developed as in some other of my favorite restaurants, for example Azema (Angel Carranza y Costa Rica).

However, they make a foie gras (served as an entrada) that, although expensive at 60 pesos, is sinfully perfect.
You can make a fine meal of foie gras, white bread and a bottle of wine.

www.thymusrestaurant.com.ar

Enjoy...

David

PS An Argentine friend of mine, who has travelled often to the US and Europe, likewise bemoans Argentinian bread.
His theory is that the reason bread here is so (in general) ordinary is that to make really good bread you have to get up early!
:)

captdave said:
...PS An Argentine friend of mine, who has travelled often to the US and Europe, likewise bemoans Argentinian bread.
His theory is that the reason bread here is so (in general) ordinary is that to make really good bread you have to get up early!
:)

I recently heard a somewhat similar story from a local as well.

and yes, I also liked Thymus' bread. :rolleyes:

Nikad -- do you happen to know if the place you mentioned carry brioche? Thx!

syngirl said:
Nikad -- do you happen to know if the place you mentioned carry brioche? Thx!
Ack no idea really... they should though. I saw brioche at Maru Botana´s stores.

FrenchFlag.gif

Real French bread

for French people

by French bakers

with "that" French flavour

What else you can ask for?.

L’épi Boulangerie

Bruschettas, pan de miga, de centeno y de tiezac, brioche y croissants

GuillotHanocq.jpg

Bruno Gillot y Olivier Hanocq

Where is L’épi Boulangerie?

Also they are on TV as well

"Boulangerie" se emite los lunes y a las 21.30, en la frecuencia 46 de CableVision y Multicanal, 401 de CableVision y Multicanal Digital, 232 de DirecTV, y en los principales cableoperadores de America Latina.

Voila!

Back