where to get new iphone battery

buenosairesmike

Registered
Hi everyone, aside from the Apple store does anyone know where one can get a replacement battery for the iphone. The Apple store quoted me over a USD 100 last time I checked.

thanks

Mike

Sorry, but welcome to BA -- Apple products are generally 3x the price as in North America, so that's about right -- However you might have luck on MercadoLibre or Craigslist with people selling iphones and accessories that they've brought in from the States.

thanks syngirl, that was helpful. I keep forgetting about mercado libre, I traced a reference from Mercado Libre to a place called Energiarecargable, on Mansilla 3429 in case anyone else is interested. price for new battery is ARG 99. sounds good. Any alternatives still welcome.

buenosairesmike said:
thanks syngirl, that was helpful. I keep forgetting about mercado libre, I traced a reference from Mercado Libre to a place called Energiarecargable, on Mansilla 3429 in case anyone else is interested. price for new battery is ARG 99. sounds good. Any alternatives still welcome.

when I saw thisthread I was going to recommend this same store, they're good and pretty cheap for BA

Do you put this battery into the phone yourself? Is it easy?
To be honest I didn't know it existed and thought you had to throw the iphone away when the battery was dead :eek: so this is good news...

You have to pry open the back of the thing. I understand that it's not difficult to do with a paperclip but maybe the first time take it to the store and ask them to show you.

Update on Energiarecargable.Com. This is a typical Buenos Aires story so I thought I'd pass it on.

I went to the store, but it's now called ProBattery not Energiarecargable, no hint from the really well done website. BUT in addition to the the 99 peso fee for the new battery, they charge a service fee of another 100 pesos for changing it. No mention of this small service fee in their add, although they did make a lot of noise about changing the battery right in front of you. bla bla. My wife tells me I was a bit rude to the man, which I admit. I was very annoyed especially since 200 pesos still isn't a bad price for the new battery. But they should have mentioned that in their ad. Oh well.

Sounds like they wanted to charge you the foreigner tax. :mad:

Personally, I would not trust my iPhone battery replacement to a non authorized dealer. It involves opening and soldering the battery which will break any warranty the phone may have, and if not done properly might end up bricking/damaging your phone for good. :(

I'm curious why your battery is failing? We have two first generation iPhones (both first batch released June 29, 2007) they've been used regularly since then and their batteries are still going on strong.

Anyways, good luck!

Back