Where To Live In Ba

lizku

Registered
Hi!

I am looking for apartments in Buenos Aires since I am coming there to study for 6 months. I am going to study at UCA and they recomend that you do not live alone and that you search for residences in barrio norte, recoleta, retiro, palermo & belgrano. I however wonder how seriously I should take these recomendations? Sometimes they are a bit causious since they are aiming those recomendations for naive young "just moved away from home" students I reckon. I am however 25 years old and have travelled a lot already so those newbie mistakes have been done!
I have found an apartment in San Telmo within in my budget which is a small studio that looks really, really nice. The apartment is close to UADE and UCA and seems really nice in general and it has a pool and a roof terrace with a bbq (and I looove to bbq and swim!). It is a newly built house and it is rented via airbnb so it feels quite safe. Downside is that it is a small studio so I would be living alone. Does anyone have any general recomendations about that? I am quite social so does anyone know how social people are in general at campus and around town? Will it be a bit lonely perhaps?
I am also wondering a bit about how San Telmo is as an area to live in? Is it mostly residential areas or is it businesses mostly? Is it safe to live there? especially when you are living alone? I have travelled quite a bit so I am not that typical "stupid tourist" so I would appreciate some "real" information. :)

Thank you!

// Lisa

I would choose San Telmo 'coz it's close and a cool place to live. Problems with traffic can make for a long trip from places like Belgrano or even Barrio Norte. It depends on the area of San Telmo though. A few blocks can make for a different kind of neighborhood.

i dont recommend that you search in retiro :eek: , baaaaaaad neighbourhood!
i love palermo, although many think its too touristy, before i got married i lived alone there for a few years and absolutely no problem!
i recommend palermo, belgrano or barrio norte, and that you buy i bike to get around!
Im not a big fan of living San thelmo, but it seems quite popular and cool for some people!

I lived in San Telmo for a month. Its full of tourists but still enjoyable. Bit sketchy at night but not too bad. Its a little far from Palermo where a lot of the night life is.

UCA is a reactionary, conservative, catholic university where spoiled rich sons and daughters go to study as if they were in high school. Therefore, they will recommend you upper classes neighborhoods, where this people live, avoiding middle class barrios like Almagro, Boedo, Villa Crespo, Chacarita, Colegiales, Nuñez, etc. which is in my opinion the real Buenos Aires, the real tango neighborhoods, the real porteños. Palermo used to be middle class too but now is trendy concheto, and so there is going San Telmo (although you ll find a nice bohemian mix there).
I ll recommend you San Telmo, basically because proximity to Puerto Madero, the neighborhood where UCA is, which has no vibe or sentiment as every barrio has, since its totally new and built for important bussinessmen.
If San Telmo doesnt work, I ll go for Barrio Norte, not the Recoleta part, which is the richest part of Baires, but the quieter place, after Pueyrredon avenue, in the limit with Palermo, with more ordinary constructions, upper middle class smell, not too crowded, plenty of young people who come and study from the interior, safe.

UCA is backwards that some students are asking for a fellow student to be expelled because she made a sexy tape during class--not a sex tape, just her being sexy. Stupid? Yes. But that is for faculty to decide, and the student union should look out for students.
If you can change, I suggest UBA, Ditella or San Andres--snobby places but at least good schools.

Either Palermo Soho and Villa Crespo are safe areas and there are plenty of shops, bars and dining places. The areas are active during night, "safety". There are many buses from either Codorba, Scalbrini ortiz. Or living a few blocks from Santa Fe. Try Craigslist for renting an apartment or sharing room.

All the best.

UCA is backwards that some students are asking for a fellow student to be expelled because she made a sexy tape during class--not a sex tape, just her being sexy. Stupid? Yes. But that is for faculty to decide, and the student union should look out for students.
If you can change, I suggest UBA, Ditella or San Andres--snobby places but at least good schools.

Totally agree, As Di Tella or Saint Andrews are snobish places, they do have a reputation. In fact, many of the UBA proffesors teach there, and programs arent so different as UBAs (for example, Urbanism at Di Tella is excelent and teached by "progres" proffesors, while Economics are good too -but with another orientation).
San Andres is very good, both universities are at the same level as UBA, more or less, clearly above UCA, UADE, UDES, etc

I'm very happy with Villa Crespo, safe and conservative area. Easy access to buses and subway system. A walking distance to Palermo SoHo where all the trendy bars, restaurants, clubs, shops. I feel safe during night.
All the best and stay safe.
nik

Back