Where to watch a football game?

At the moment, I am feeling truly like a dummy, in that I really really really can’t tell where any of the games are being played
…here, there, even (aurghhh…) ESPN

….help (?)
if you type the teams into google then the fixture will pop up at the top. Click on the fixture then it will show the stadium if you scroll down.

The team shown first is always the home team and they play at their home stadium for all league games (but for cup games they will often play in the stadium of other teams)

Alternatively you can use this website: https://el.soccerway.com/national/argentina/primera-division/2024/1st-phase/r80131/

Velez is a great place to go, costs about $5 and is a safe atmosphere compared to some. Argentino Juniors are also a good watch, more like $10, again is a pretty safe area and crowd and has a little museum dedicate to the club and Maradona(His first club). Both you can just rock up and buy your tickets without drama, and more importantly you can enjoy the hinchada and the classic argentino futbol culture.

If you are after Racing or River you will need membership. Not sure with Independiente because its been a couple of years now but you used to be able to buy tickets from one of the two sede's a couple of days before the game without being a member.

Boca you need to know a guy, I can put you in touch and it's pricey: $100+. Tickets are like rocking horse s**t so this is the way to go, also the guy goes with you and covers transport, which in La Boca isn't the worse thing if you don't know where you are going.

San Lorenzo is great, the fans are mad. Tickets usually are around $20 depending on where you sit, bit of a dodgy area but you should be alright as long as you go there on match day. Tickets can be bought a few days before again from their sede's(ticket offices) without a membership.

Velez is a great place to go, costs about $5 and is a safe atmosphere compared to some. Argentino Juniors are also a good watch, more like $10, again is a pretty safe area and crowd and has a little museum dedicate to the club and Maradona(His first club). Both you can just rock up and buy your tickets without drama, and more importantly you can enjoy the hinchada and the classic argentino futbol culture.

If you are after Racing or River you will need membership. Not sure with Independiente because its been a couple of years now but you used to be able to buy tickets from one of the two sede's a couple of days before the game without being a member.

Boca you need to know a guy, I can put you in touch and it's pricey: $100+. Tickets are like rocking horse s**t so this is the way to go, also the guy goes with you and covers transport, which in La Boca isn't the worse thing if you don't know where you are going.

San Lorenzo is great, the fans are mad. Tickets usually are around $20 depending on where you sit, bit of a dodgy area but you should be alright as long as you go there on match day. Tickets can be bought a few days before again from their sede's(ticket offices) without a membership.
Hi - Would your guy take me and a friend to the Boca game on Sunday by any chance. Happy to pay of course

A stream of consciousness
  • There are ~10 first division teams within a 30 minute drive from CABA
  • For most teams except Boca, River (and maybe Independiente and Racing) you can buy tickets in person, either day of game or few days before. Other than those four teams, the others do not sell out matches
  • Some but not many sell tickets online (e.g. Velez). Most teams have a whatsapp that you can ask questions to a real person.
  • Search "X team" "Entradas" on Google and often you'll be directed to the right place. Tickets go on sale 4-10 days before a match and never before
  • When you buy tickets, the "Popular" is where the hardcore fans stand/sing/dance all game. Tickets are not allocated, for the biggest teams you have to arrive 2 hours early to get a decent location and well good luck if you need the bathroom. In general if you are claustrophobic, don't like the smell of smoke, don't want to have a drunk (or worse) argentinian man jumping and hugging you next to you, then i would avoid this section.
  • People will tell you it is very dangerous, but IMO it is safe if you don't draw attention to yourself. Suggestions:
    • Make sure you wear team colours - you can pick up street versions for very cheap outside
    • By all means take 5-10 photos and 1-2 videos but don't use your phone otherwise
    • If you buy a ticket not in the Popular (along the sidelines + more expensive) then it is quite a relaxed atmosphere and you are very unlikely to encounter any problems, even if you don't follow the two bullets above
    • Finally (and no offense to the Americans) but try to be subtle and keep your voice down which is easy I think for Brits/Europeans but more difficult for Americans
  • I would recommend the following:
    • For a cost effective and easy experience go to: Platense, Argentinos Juniors or Velez. Nearby to CABA and tickets are straightforward
    • For a cost effective but maybe more challenging experience: Get a membership at SomosRiver.com or Independiente and buy tickets through there
    • For a non-cost effective and easy experience: Find a tout willing to sell you a Boca or River ticket for ~$40-80. Ideally pay once inside
  • Oh and you need your passport with you
Great! I’ve never been to a River of Juniors game.Is there any alternative to the tour guide ticket + pizza for 150USD?

Back