Which baby formula?

nledec

Registered
I'll have a new arrival in March, and I was wondering about the different brands of baby formula available here. I'll be breast-feeding, but past experience tells me that I'll also need some formula on hand for supplementing. What do you know about the formula offered here and what brand do you recommend?

nledec said:
I'll have a new arrival in March, and I was wondering about the different brands of baby formula available here. I'll be breast-feeding, but past experience tells me that I'll also need some formula on hand for supplementing. What do you know about the formula offered here and what brand do you recommend?

Hi, and congrats!! There are a few, but the best is called Nutrilon and can be purchased at most large Pharmacies and some grocery stores (Disco, Jumbo).

Of course, check with your OBGYN but I would guess they would recommend Nutrilon as well.

It comes in powder or liquid form (our little guy seemed to prefer the liquid form over the powder).

As a first time mum coming here from the states I was a little paranoid and would only use Enfamil which was imported, kept behind the counter like fine wine and could be bought for a silly price in only a few pharmacies. With my second child, born here, Enfamil is no longer available and so I used SanCor liquid or powders, starting supplementing at 6 months and transitioning to full on bottle in 2nd year. I stilll give my 2 year old the San Cor 3 in liquid form.

In other words I think you will be fine with whatever brand you chose here..just ensure to buy it from common locals such as Faramcity, Jumbo etc as the rumors always abound of lacteos being tampered with in Chinese supermarkets..again not something that I have ever witnessed.

Best of luck with it...breast is best but it`s amazing how many mothers supplement or transition after 6 months with lots of success and happy healthy babies!

A lot also depends on what they give you (if any at the hospital). Our guy got started on Similac back in the States, so that's what we stuck with (we were encouraged to keep it consistent). Of course, we arrived here and no Similac, so we tried the "Vital 2" one and our guy did not seem to notice. Only thing I noticed was it seemed a little less soluble than the Similac. (except for just after birth we have used the powder, its cheaper and takes up less space).

The other big brand back in the states is Enfamil which we have seen here.

Of course, best advice is check with the Docs, or we found that the delivery nurses (again back in the States but I am sure here too) seem to know a lot and have some very useful tips. But this does not sound like your first trip to the "rodeo", so I am sure you know what to do.

Back