Which Buenos Aires Building First On Your List To Go?

My favourite for demolition - possibly to provide a suitable site for the new Scottish Embassy later this year
http://postimg.org/image/82k5wk32j/

Future site of the new Argentine embassy in Scotland:
abbey-450.jpg

Early word has it that Clorindo Testa is to be entrusted with the demolition/construction.

I went past this one the other day, and my cab driver had a story to tell. He said that back when this was built, Argentina was exporting something to Europe, and the ships were coming back empty. (he meant in ballast, cargo ships never travel truly empty.) Anyhow, the story was that the return-trip cargo space was used to import building materials from Europe, mainly Italian marble and stone, and that these materials were used in the construction of this building. The architecture is admittedly not the usual Spanish Colonial which I love so much; it does have more of a Fin de siècle Italian Palazzo look to it.

There is so much bad architecture (mostly from the 70s onward) that I'd hardly know where to begin with demolition recommendations. The lack of zoning or zoning enforcement is really the problem. There is just no regard for the urban environment. Whoever has enough money can get a permit to build, no matter how ugly or disruptive to a neighborhood. It is really far more brutally capitalistic than the US. Even in the most elite parts of Recoleta atrocities are permitted.

Back