Which iphone to buy?

I got a nano sim from Claro for an iPhone 5 back in March 2013 and 3g works well. I'm not sure about the other networks though.

Sorry to revive this. I am far from being a tech expert. Is this nano SIM thing for the iPhone 5S still an issue here? Can the 5S be used without any issues?
Can be used without issues. The major carriers will give you a pre-cut nano sim card if you request it.

Thank you for the replies. This would be my first time to delve into the iPhone world. For those of you who live her long-term (i.e. don't have a cell phone contract abroad), do you buy the unlocked (ouch!) or buy with a plan (like AT&T for instance and continue paying the plan - or not - and get it unlocked down here?) Or is there another option I don't know about? Curious as to what others have done. Thanks again.

You could just get an android of your choice instead. Any unlocked smartphone with the ability to hold a Sim card can be used with local mobile carriers. Stores like best buy will sell you unlocked phones. The manufacturers can do that too. The unlocked factory version is obviously going to be more expensive.

You can buy an unlocked iphone if you like. I have an iphone 5 for sale in mint condition with a SIM8 tray that will work with Movistar, Claro, or Personal. PM me if you are interested.

Appreciate it, Tex. But I'm going home in several weeks and going to buy something new and will do the same thing I do with my computers every time I go back to the States. Update again and sell the lightly used one here.

In that case, buy the unlocked phone from Apple's website (T-mobile unlocked), and they send it to you with free shipping. Or you can buy a Nexus phone, Samsung, etc. unlocked. Purchase a SIM card from Movistar or Claro and pop it into the SIM tray. That's all it takes.

Back