Which university.....UBA vs Belgrano?

Kay has a point. The only university where you will learn the real good stuff is UBA. Any other institution (private) is just selling a degree. I agree that going to UBa can be a tough experience for expats because as it is "for free" it suffers many of the political affairs going on in Argentina nowadays. But the education level is top-top-top and you´ll meet very interesting teachers and students.

I am not sure that the point is to study more Spanish Language or some University s subjects in the Faculty.
As your dauthger has studied (have to be more than 3 years), you have to go to the Foreigner Students Depatment maybe good in FILOSOFIA Y LETRAS - Filosophy and Letters - in Puan Street with Highschool Degree (Please check if it is necessary APOSTILE by the Ministry of Foreign Relations of your country or some kind of public certificate)
with Spanish Study Certificate.
They will admit to take their subjects as like Argentinian Literature, History, and son on but Faculty Level with Argentinian Students not exactly and especially for foreigners.
So, I recommend to go to check her Spanish level in the Language Laboratoy in 25 de Mayo street in the centre of Buenos Aires near from the Plaza de Mayo.If her level is higher than level 5 or 6 there good for starting to study subjets in the Faculty.
In any case, it is free but will be recommended to pay Colaboration free but nothing to compare with charge of other places and also the Spanish lessons in Laboratoy will be cheaper if she gets as a Regular Temporary University Student in UBA - Universidad de Buenos Aires.
Sorry for my poor English but expect that it is understandable. jaja and in next time will pay more atention.

"galalita" said:
Kay has a point. The only university where you will learn the real good stuff is UBA. Any other institution (private) is just selling a degree. I agree that going to UBa can be a tough experience for expats because as it is "for free" it suffers many of the political affairs going on in Argentina nowadays. But the education level is top-top-top and you´ll meet very interesting teachers and students.
I admit that UBA has great level, and you will meet interesting people. I study engineering at UCA (the university in Puerto Madero) and nobody sells you a title, we have many UBA teachers, and we also fail and we have to do courses again like in UBA. It´s not for defending my college but not all private universities are the same. AUSTRAL, ITBA, BALCEIRO (Atomic institute in Bariloche) are very high academic level, and nobody sells you any title, you have to study hard to pass, I know people who studied there and no one is stupid neither mom and dad baby. The one that studied at Balceiro got an internship for a physics doctorate at MIT in Boston, MA. So is better to say that there are good and bad private institutions.Ned: I wouldn't reccomend you Universidad de Belgrano, neither Universidad de Palermo. Those ones are real degree retailers. I can recommend you UCA if you want a serious private college or well UBA. I recommend you to research well about it because there is an institution for each kind of people with advantages and disadvantages. Go and ask in Di Tella university also that is good.

Advantages of UCA.-Modern and comfortable facilities-Located in puerto madero-The sizes of the classes depends on the courses (you can be in a 15 people course or as well as my case, 50 people)-Cost: I think is not very cheap, but neither the most expensive. Depend on what you study. For engineering I pay $820 per month.-Many foreign people from everywhere of the US, or Europe, or Latin America.

This is such as old post now, but I have to give my 2 cents....
UBA (for foreign language students) is NOT free! Courses range from $400USD and way up depending on if you need a host home, hostel, etc. per month. One month is not enough time to learn any language. UBA does not teach grammer, pronunciation, vocabulary or any important basics. I would highly recommend the school if you already have a descent background in the language. Classes are fast and intense, never rehashing the previous days learnings. Maximum do-it-yourself work is needed to complete a course, though I have heard they pass kids just to get back into your pockets the next month.
Cheers!

My thanks to all who have responded.....your comments are appreciated.For sake of clarification, my daughter is simply looking for a suitable institution to improve her Spanish with the hope that it's curriculum etc will be acceptable for credits at her home college.She is not looking for a degree in the subject.She is currently leaning towards UB as their "Spanish as a Second Language" course is 15 hrs per week for 14 weeks while the long course at UBA appears to be 2 or 3 hrs per week.The other aspect of her visit is to experience living away from home where she will have to fend for herself and where she will hopefully enjoy the different culture and Spanish 'immersion'. The other side of the story of course is that mum and dad will have an opportunity to visit BA (to make sure she gets settled in!!)...:) If anyone can suggest an inexpensive hotel or B&B for mum and dad in the general vicinity of UB.we would be grateful

Back