Who are the future BAEXPATS?

This is what boggles my mind, if you're a far right guy why would you chose Argentina of all places, thinking it is more libertarian than the US? You do realize the Argentine state is still prosecuting people that broke quarantine, and we had one of the longest lockdowns in the world, right? We also have tons of migrants (and you'd be one too, or did you only mean to call brown people migrants?), and Argentina is not gun friendly, so again, not sure where you're getting these ideas from, because Chile is much closer to what you're thinking of, but it's also more "ethnic" which you may not like.

The fact that the migrants flooding increasingly and completely uncontrollably into the US and Europe are 'brown' or 'ethnic' is of no importance except to racists ... and virtue signalers (often the same thing).

Much has been said above without a need to regurgitate the information. My comments are not addressed to company execs moving here or others with high paying dollar jobs . But it will focus on mostly retired folks living on savings or SSA.
After the hyperinflation stops Argentina will go into a "Menem Government Economics" like Argentina 1998, where the cost of living in Argentina was higher than Paris... When those days come, the number of EXPATS will dwindle . Must prepare for alternate locations to migrate.

Much has been said above without a need to regurgitate the information. My comments are not addressed to company execs moving here or others with high paying dollar jobs . But it will focus on mostly retired folks living on savings or SSA.
After the hyperinflation stops Argentina will go into a "Menem Government Economics" like Argentina 1998, where the cost of living in Argentina was higher than Paris... When those days come, the number of EXPATS will dwindle . Must prepare for alternate locations to migrate.
I don't think it will be more expensive than Paris however I expect prices to stabilize under a Milei government and wages to come closer to more respectable levels. I was here during the Menem government. Everyday costs were cose to those of the US at the time, some things lower and others higher or a lot higher. Dining out at a nice restaurant was a consideration, not someting one did all the time. Property was much more affordable, esoecially in relation to income levels. Every taxi driver seemed to have been to Disney. For those with a serious commitment to the country, adjustment will be necessary but if you own property I believe you'll be able to manage. Others are going to leave.

This is a terribly difficult country to make money in. It's inefficient, taxes are terribly high, tons of red tape, government is corrupt, a clear lack of separation of branches of government here, a non-functional banking system, yadda yadda yadda.
The money quote. I've been hoping against hope Milei would change all that but think it's too far gone now. I spent weeks on the ground in Argentina and Taiwan in 1996 deciding which one to expatriate to and chose Taiwan. Worked out really well. With the commies across the Strait planning to screw this place up too now though I started checking out Argentina again in case things had gotten any better. They haven't. Somehow they've gotten far worse now . . .

But even those with tons of savings it's more difficult because banks are paying basically almost nothing now. When I moved here banks were paying as high as 5% interest in high interest savings accounts. So if you had $1 million you were making $50,000 just off the interest. Now you're lucky if you get $15,000. The world is a different place.
Hi earlyretirement, are you referring to the gain after discounting for inflation? Because I have invested in a couple of 5% CDs (in the US) and even a high-interest saving account yields 4% or more. I don't know how long this is going to last, but this is the reality after the multiple interest hikes made by the Fed in the past few months.

Hi earlyretirement, are you referring to the gain after discounting for inflation? Because I have invested in a couple of 5% CDs (in the US) and even a high-interest saving account yields 4% or more. I don't know how long this is going to last, but this is the reality after the multiple interest hikes made by the Fed in the past few months.
you know that post was 13 years ago?

Recently there was a huge increase in the income requirement for the visa rentista and the dollar amount for the investor visa was also increased. The new decreto may put an end to perma-tourism and inflation and crime are greater concerns than ever. Retirees who don't have to have a specified level of income to qualify for the pensionado visa are still unlikely to find long term rentals sin la garantia. Even if they buy an apartment to live in, the monthly fees have been increasing at an alarming rate.

Though there have been a few recent posts here on the forum from businesses looking for individuals to work, some only want those who already have a DNI. I'm not sure if it is legal to hire a foreigner with a DNI to take any job that is offered without the employer being registered with migraciones, but even if it's possible to bypass migraciones there don't seem to be very many jobs that include pay and benefits attractive to most foreigners form North America, Australia, and Europe (unless on the job fruit twice a week is a major incentive).

I'm sure there will continue to be individuals (some with families) who are transferred to BA for work and some foreigners who will come as tourists for six months or less, but I wonder if the future "year round" population of expats in BA is going to shrink, perhaps significantly, in the future. I hope we will hear from those who are still considering "moving" here as well as those who have serious doubts regarding plans they may have been making for a number of months...if not years. Given recent events and trends, this has become a tougher decision to make than ever.
There seems to be a big shortage of qualified construction workers, if that´s of interest.

I am not in Buenos Aires at the moment. Is is easy to get unqualified workers to show up ?

Back