Who are the future BAEXPATS?

Considering the recent changes to the income requirements for temporay residency, as well as a recent comment that older expats in Argentina (aka "dinosaurs") not relevant here in the forum, I think this is a good time to give this thread a bump and see where current members of the forum (of all ages) see themsleves in the future..especially the dinosaurs who have been here since the early years of the fourm (which was started in 2005) and who probably still consider their opinions and experiences relevant...espceially when compared to the recently arrived.

Last edited:
Considering the recent changes to the income requirements for temporay residency, as well as a recent comment that older expats in Argentina (aka "dinosaurs") not relevant here in the forum, I think this is a good time to give this thread a bump and see where current members of the forum (of all ages) see themsleves in the future..especially the dinosaurs who have been here since the early years of the fourm (which was started in 2005) and who probably still consider their opinions and experiences relevant...espceially when compared to the recently arrived.
Looking to get out of the USA for a while (not wanting to be around for another Trump-Biden election year, combined with the flood of military-age males across the southern border, and sick of continuing lockdowns/mandates). Skeptical of Europe as a solution, since the migrants/Islamists seem to be everywhere these days (Germany, Sweden, etc). Been to Chile and Peru, and always heard of Argentina as a partially gun-friendly place with possible investment possibilities. Investigating the Rentista visa to see if a 2nd passport/citizenship is possible in under 4 years total, but haven't found anyone in real life that has accomplished this, so far. Lastly, Milei being an Austrian-economics guy, I'm interested in living in BsAs during the election/rest of the year to see what happens.

What has to be considered is that resident qualifications are going up universally around the world. Start with Mexico last year.....the Far East and now Colombia residency is a mess. So it is difficult to evaluate Argentina as a stand-alone situation...because it isn't.

And a further thought about being a digital nomad.....the country that has the lowest requirement for out-of-country income that I am aware of is Costa Rica....$3000 I think.

Last edited:
Looking to get out of the USA for a while (not wanting to be around for another Trump-Biden election year, combined with the flood of military-age males across the southern border, and sick of continuing lockdowns/mandates). Skeptical of Europe as a solution, since the migrants/Islamists seem to be everywhere these days (Germany, Sweden, etc). Been to Chile and Peru, and always heard of Argentina as a partially gun-friendly place with possible investment possibilities. Investigating the Rentista visa to see if a 2nd passport/citizenship is possible in under 4 years total, but haven't found anyone in real life that has accomplished this, so far. Lastly, Milei being an Austrian-economics guy, I'm interested in living in BsAs during the election/rest of the year to see what happens.
This is what boggles my mind, if you're a far right guy why would you chose Argentina of all places, thinking it is more libertarian than the US? You do realize the Argentine state is still prosecuting people that broke quarantine, and we had one of the longest lockdowns in the world, right? We also have tons of migrants (and you'd be one too, or did you only mean to call brown people migrants?), and Argentina is not gun friendly, so again, not sure where you're getting these ideas from, because Chile is much closer to what you're thinking of, but it's also more "ethnic" which you may not like.

Recently there was a huge increase in the income requirement for the visa rentista and the dollar amount for the investor visa was also increased. The new decreto may put an end to perma-tourism and inflation and crime are greater concerns than ever. Retirees who don't have to have a specified level of income to qualify for the pensionado visa are still unlikely to find long term rentals sin la garantia. Even if they buy an apartment to live in, the monthly fees have been increasing at an alarming rate.

Though there have been a few recent posts here on the forum from businesses looking for individuals to work, some only want those who already have a DNI. I'm not sure if it is legal to hire a foreigner with a DNI to take any job that is offered without the employer being registered with migraciones, but even if it's possible to bypass migraciones there don't seem to be very many jobs that include pay and benefits attractive to most foreigners form North America, Australia, and Europe (unless on the job fruit twice a week is a major incentive).

I'm sure there will continue to be individuals (some with families) who are transferred to BA for work and some foreigners who will come as tourists for six months or less, but I wonder if the future "year round" population of expats in BA is going to shrink, perhaps significantly, in the future. I hope we will hear from those who are still considering "moving" here as well as those who have serious doubts regarding plans they may have been making for a number of months...if not years. Given recent events and trends, this has become a tougher decision to make than ever.

Recently there was a huge increase in the income requirement for the visa rentista and the dollar amount for the investor visa was also increased. The new decreto may put an end to perma-tourism and inflation and crime are greater concerns than ever. Retirees who don't have to have a specified level of income to qualify for the pensionado visa are still unlikely to find long term rentals sin la garantia. Even if they buy an apartment to live in, the monthly fees have been increasing at an alarming rate.

Though there have been a few recent posts here on the forum from businesses looking for individuals to work, some only want those who already have a DNI. I'm not sure if it is legal to hire a foreigner with a DNI to take any job that is offered without the employer being registered with migraciones, but even if it's possible to bypass migraciones there don't seem to be very many jobs that include pay and benefits attractive to most foreigners form North America, Australia, and Europe (unless on the job fruit twice a week is a major incentive).

I'm sure there will continue to be individuals (some with families) who are transferred to BA for work and some foreigners who will come as tourists for six months or less, but I wonder if the future "year round" population of expats in BA is going to shrink, perhaps significantly, in the future. I hope we will hear from those who are still considering "moving" here as well as those who have serious doubts regarding plans they may have been making for a number of months...if not years. Given recent events and trends, this has become a tougher decision to make than ever.
I agree that there will be far fewer. Argentina is going to be more expensive. If Milei is elected there will be economic reforms, even if dollarisation is deferred. For those who have dollars it will be mostly cheaper than North America or Europe but I expect salaries to become more competitive with the rest of Latin America. The country can't go on with the majority earning u$s 200 or less a month. Argentina will become a less appealing destination for those who do not have a serious commitment to the country.

This is what boggles my mind, if you're a far right guy why would you chose Argentina of all places, thinking it is more libertarian than the US? You do realize the Argentine state is still prosecuting people that broke quarantine, and we had one of the longest lockdowns in the world, right? We also have tons of migrants (and you'd be one too, or did you only mean to call brown people migrants?), and Argentina is not gun friendly, so again, not sure where you're getting these ideas from, because Chile is much closer to what you're thinking of, but it's also more "ethnic" which you may not like
I agree that there will be far fewer. Argentina is going to be more expensive. If Milei is elected there will be economic reforms, even if dollarisation is deferred. For those who have dollars it will be mostly cheaper than North America or Europe but I expect salaries to become more competitive with the rest of Latin America. The country can't go on with the majority earning u$s 200 or less a month. Argentina will become a less appealing destination for those who do not have a serious commitment to the country.
He seems to be thinking that Milei will be elected and that the country will turn conservative but even if Milei is elected Milei's philosophy is not really conservative in the US sense. You are correct of course that Argentina has been left leaning for a long time. Chile used to be conservative but that has changed, no?

He seems to be thinking that Milei will be elected and that the country will turn conservative but even if Milei is elected Milei's philosophy is not really conservative in the US sense. You are correct of course that Argentina has been left leaning for a long time. Chile used to be conservative but that has changed, no?
Chile 2023 isn't Chile 1983, sure, but Chile is still much closer to the libertarian ideal of South America than Argentina is, and even if you have Milei govern for 8 years it will take much longer to change the culture (and laws, the part Milei is going to struggle the most with) here in that direction.

Also the amount of Argentines who subscribe to libertarianism is very different than the 30% of the country that is voting for Milei; you could have run Zulemita as a Menemist alternative to Massa on the same platform of MIlei and she probably would have gotten an equal number of votes because people are voting against the Ks and JxC, not because they love La Rebelión de Atlas

This is what boggles my mind, if you're a far right guy why would you chose Argentina of all places, thinking it is more libertarian than the US? You do realize the Argentine state is still prosecuting people that broke quarantine, and we had one of the longest lockdowns in the world, right? We also have tons of migrants (and you'd be one too, or did you only mean to call brown people migrants?), and Argentina is not gun friendly, so again, not sure where you're getting these ideas from, because Chile is much closer to what you're thinking of, but it's also more "ethnic" which you may not like.
The fact that the migrants flooding increasingly and completely uncontrollably into the US and Europe are 'brown' or 'ethnic' is of no importance except to racists ... and virtue signalers (often the same thing).

Back