Who has left or is planning to leave?

It has to be renewed every 12 months; plus you have to report to the Thai Immigration office every 3 months online or in person; plus if you go abroad, you have to inform that immigration office, and there are some small entry fees.
These are the requirements, along with the heat, that drove me out of Thailand 5 years ago.

These are the requirements, along with the heat, that drove me out of Thailand 5 years ago.
I understand the heat could drive me insane. But why did these requirements cause you any inconveniences? The requirements sound very reasonable and easy to comply with.

With the new reality Argentina would you re-consider?

How long did you stay before you left?

Did you lock $22k US?

Last edited:
I understand the heat could drive me insane. But why did these requirements cause you any inconveniences? The requirements sound very reasonable and easy to comply with.

With the new reality Argentina would you re-consider?

How long did you stay before you left?

Did you lock $22k US?
22k was another reason. Did you see Ceviche's post about renewing, checking in and alertng when you leave the country? "Very reasonable"? Nah.

The "new reality"!! Please.

22k was another reason. Did you see Ceviche's post about renewing, checking in and alertng when you leave the country? "Very reasonable"? Nah.

The "new reality"!! Please.
Did I hear your 3 points correctly
Locking $22k US could be an issue.
But if withdrawal is guaranteed when I leave then it's no issue for me. (everything is locked in a bank anyway as we speak ,,,, what is the difference if locked in a different bank?)
Why would renewing and alerting when leaving bother anyone? The fees? The bureaucracy? The privacy invasion?
Argentina even with the new reality still preferable to Thailand. You would not re-consider BKK again I take it.

One more question:
How long was your stay in BKK?

Argentina has drastically changed economically politically and in so many other ways. Hard to recognize from yesterday.

Not easy to once again uproot oneself and leave after investing years here. But one has to look around and re-evaluate.

Rio de Janeiro and Panama. Pros? Cons?
I would imagine that both cities are economically and politically more advantageous now.

I heard Rio is not safe. Panama weather is shitty.
Rio food is million times better than Argentina. Panama is tax free.

Share your opinion and experience to help some of us with limited familiarity who want to formulate a decision.
Why do you want to leave?

Can't wait until you lot pack your vacuous bags and F off, that'll be the best reset for BA and your shallow spoons. Embarrassing

I loved Buenos Aires once with such a passion but now that seems like a distant dream. In 2003 when I moved here there was a joy in the streets and most people were living a decent life . Remember from 2003 to 2009 Argentina had one of the fastest growing economies of the planet and with a stable currency and low inflation of less than 25% annually it was one of the best periods ever in our history . Food was much better quality then and for less than US$ 10 you could eat in most restaurants in the city a large meal . Palermo Soho was my barrio then and it still retained a bohemian feeling then and its people were very friendly and welcoming .

Most porteños are struggling terribly now and will gladly leave for sunnier shores now . For me the best bet is Peru to live in . Arequipa is the jewel there with a very low cost of living and great lifestlye

Wow, so 25% "low" inflation being easily in the top ten out of 195. Good times! How much should that be in dollar terms 20 years matured?

But yes most porteños will gladly leave their lives behind for sunny shores, a couple of million at the very least.

Enjoy Peru!

South Africa (e.g. Western Cape) could also be a nice option if you don't mind the added distance. They offer independent means and pensioner visas. Similar climate to Argentina. Cost of living a bit lower than here, good private education, healthcare and professional services, very nice lifestyle but also not without its short comings (e.g. constant power and water shortages, mismanagement and corruption, insecurity - BUT and it is a big but, safety depends on exactly where you live and go... quite like Argentina actually but with a more open and stable economy where you can find anything you want).
Avoid... like you said with all your negative points. South Africa is dangerous and any cost of living saved is spent trying to top up what the State should, but does not provide. Cost of living is actually far higher in South Africa than Argentina and the state provides very little. There is no or very unreliable public transport unless you count mad minibus taxis. Even Cape Towns city busses while fine dont cover nearly half as much of the city as BA busses do and strikes and public violence render the service unreliable and unsafe. Trains work sometimes but you would never want to go on one as it makes you an easy target for gangs that rob people. I had a friend who lived in Cape Town who would carry a dummy phone to give to the gang members when they used to rob people.

If you live in South Africa the initial investment to simply live is astronomical as you would need independent power supply (solar and inverter), a water well or borehole or at the very least rain tanks and a filtration system (in some places, not all), private security (ADT or the like), electric fencing, private medical, a decent car, a house in a decent neighborhood (you can't, as a foreign person, even begin to think of living in the more unsafe neighborhoods with cheaper houses like you can in Arg).

Additionally, simply getting a visa is going to be almost impossible for atleast 2-3 years. Home Affairs here is impossibly slow even if you are an investor or retiree or getting a work visa.

The economy is stable in that it is not like Argentia or Turkey or Zimbabwe but in reality the country is on the brink. There is definite feeling that things are going to go wrong. There are huge civil and societal issues that have never been dealt with that will eventually explode in South Africa. This next election in May seems like there will be no outright winner so there is likely going to be more instability there.

There are expats that live well but they are used to the place and have adapted and maybe they enjoy this wild west kind of lifestyle... I dunno. If you are rich and can isolate yourself from pretty much everything then there is a life to be had in South Africa in Stellenbosh or Francshoek but at that point just go to the south of Spain or Portugal or Bangkok.

I spend half my time between Arg and South Africa but I would choose every single day to rather be in Argentina 100% of the time.

Back