Who is still coming over?

I would agree with Citygirl for Xenezies, that they probably told you about the COL increase so you won't worry too much, but I *highly* doubt you'll be given that raise as you start since it's likely already been factored into your proposed wage.

I've actually long stince avoided hanging out with the "fresh off the boat" expats (I tend find them to be somewhat annoying during the honeymoon stage, and if they make it past that and have plans to stay longer I'd be more inclined to form a relationship--frankly I get sick to death of despedidas especially for people who've only been here a short time. I only go to despedidas of good friends now), and most of the people who I met when I was still fairly new (in my first couple of years) are long gone now. The expats I do spend time with now are long term people who have had babies here, businesses, or who have an Argentine partner/spouse.

Personally I'm planning a departure for early 2012. I think there's a mass exodus from Argentina now as the 'getting good' has mostly gone (I freely admit to a love/hate relationship with this place, and will definitely miss certain aspects of life here!), and I think it's going to get pretty tough for awhile as inflation and violence tend to increase.

How did you notice violence increased?

Frankly I am a man, not small by Argentine standards and know the place but I don't see a increase in violence(or crime for that matter). I am guessing it has been pretty stable in the last 6 years as well.

Despedidas for me are nice place to drink with people I semi know but quiet frankly I don't have expat friends, they are just not interesting enough for me(going to the same places all the time, drinking/smoking at home, begin with there (G)F 99% of the time, etc). I would rather develop friendships with Argentines.

I haven't necessarily witnessed firsthand increase of violence, but it would tend to go hand-in-hand with the increasing gap between the rich and poor that is only exacerbated by inflation. I'm betting that if things continue to deteriorate economically that violence (I'm not talking murder, but petty crimes of desperation, muggings and robberies with knives/guns, etc.) will rise. That said, I have never once reported an attack that happened to me (3x) or know of anybody who does (because what's the use) so I don't think any statistics on the matter will be accurate.

That said, everybody who I know here and most people that I speak with (locals and foreigners alike) with few exceptions has been the target of a violent attack at least once.

Well this does make for sad reading!

My plan since April has been to move to BA at the start of November, to start a new life but now everyone is leaving!

Admittedly, my research at that point consisted of, "my brother said it was the most amazing part of his South American trip and BA also featured in a Wong Kar Wai film I love"..! Actually, that's not entirely true - since watching a Lonely Planet guide to BA back in the 90s, I always wanted to see BA - wish I could find that video again... : (

So, is it really such a bad place? My moving all depends on certain aspects of income which need to be in place by that time - if they are, I can go anywhere there is broadband connection - it would be a dream come true!

Someone else I know recommended I should perhaps look at Colombia - he was in Cali, someone else said Medallin. Both sound great to a certain degree but there's that European aspect of BA which makes me feel like it would be a better home from home (coming from London) - I like the sophisticated and colonial architecture that Colombia doesn't have as much of, the cultural aspects of BA and the amazing looking countryside (which does not contain dangerous guerrilla groups)

Your thoughts and suggestions would be welcomed... looks like, yet again, I am jumping on the band-wagon when everyone else is jumping off!

Is BA ever likely to return to those golden days you describe or has the rock been over-turned permanently now?

Thanks...

Malthus101

malthus101 said:
Well this does make for sad reading!

My plan since April has been to move to BA at the start of November, to start a new life but now everyone is leaving!

Admittedly, my research at that point consisted of, "my brother said it was the most amazing part of his South American trip and BA also featured in a Wong Kar Wai film I love"..! Actually, that's not entirely true - since watching a Lonely Planet guide to BA back in the 90s, I always wanted to see BA - wish I could find that video again... : (

So, is it really such a bad place? My moving all depends on certain aspects of income which need to be in place by that time - if they are, I can go anywhere there is broadband connection - it would be a dream come true!

Someone else I know recommended I should perhaps look at Colombia - he was in Cali, someone else said Medallin. Both sound great to a certain degree but there's that European aspect of BA which makes me feel like it would be a better home from home (coming from London) - I like the sophisticated and colonial architecture that Colombia doesn't have as much of, the cultural aspects of BA and the amazing looking countryside (which does not contain dangerous guerrilla groups)

Your thoughts and suggestions would be welcomed... looks like, yet again, I am jumping on the band-wagon when everyone else is jumping off!

Is BA ever likely to return to those golden days you describe or has the rock been over-turned permanently now?

Thanks...

Malthus101
If in your mind this a must see place.....then by all means come to BA and do the expat thing. Make up your own mind, do not listen to us because even if you do not stick around it will be an experience which is impossible to properly explain to your friends at home. You have to live it before ya love it/or hate it.

Be careful with the rent! because people here take advantage of foreigners, we pay $ 1500 a department for two, I mean, one room that is, the change would be usd 350.

Hi

I am paying $1400 a month in London for a bedroom that measures 12 feet by 10.5 feet - I share with 2 other friends, they have a room each (mine is the largest by far) I can hear my neighbour (not my friends, I mean a stranger neighbour!) through my bedroom wall as it is made of particle board (cardboard), I have a train line a stone's throw from my window where trains run every 10 minutes in both directions, and ALL my bills are extra. (Electricity, council tax (a UK thing), water, telephone, broadband, TV License, all extra. (Comes to probably $240 per month)

So total, with extras, $1700 a month for rent and bills.

This is not food, clothes, going out or mobile phone costs...

If I can earn the same as I do here, and live in BA, surely I can get more bang for my buck! (and not have to share with people anymore!)

Thanks

Malthus101

Mathus, yes, if you make Euros and can have the same salary in BA that you have in London, you'll live well here. But most expats don't have that and the opinions you'll get here mostly reflect that.

What's gone here is living well (or even decently) on a local salary. And things will get even better here for those earning foreign currency as the peso continues to be devalued, it may become more like a few years ago.

For $1400 US dollars per month you can rent a decent apartment, not fancy, but you'll get much more than you do in London. You'll find restaurants here considerably cheaper. Services such as house cleaning and laundry are a fraction of what you pay in London.

But more and more the only expats that will be happy here are the ones earning foreign currency, those running businesses here with clients paying in foreign currency or retirees with significant money.

But that said, you'll have to decide if the many inconveniences built into the culture are enough to make staying long term not attractive. Getting used to walking down streets that are falling apart while dodging dog poop, the Argentines don't care much about keeping the city clean or attractive. Long lines everywhere, and I mean very long! An hour to get a few groceries or to mail a package. The security issues. The constant strikes. The power going out on a regular basis. Having to choose where you live based on how consistent the internet connection is if you plan to make a living online......Welcome to BA, so much to offer yet it comes with many issues.

Hi jb5

Yes, I can imagine that would cause me to get frustrated and I feel sorry for those folks who rely on Peso income, it must be getting very tough - it's a real shame that things are no longer as they were, economies are difficult to manage, especially for Argentina.

I may still come for half a year, just to see the place - at least I won't be in London - that's good enough for me!

Thanks

Malthus101

Yes, do come, it's a wonderful city in many ways. The honeymoon can last at least 6 months.

After that I think you need to have enough money to live really well, a reason for being here such as a good business opportunity, and a way to spend time in the first world on a regular basis.

These are the things I've seen in expats that stay the course. Best of luck!

Back