Who is still coming over?

wow. thats quite sad. it means they don't have anything better to do....which its sad cause there are a lot of things to do in BA....healthy things to do, btw.

Barney said:
I also do notice that most perm-tourist/expats are regular drugsusers. Any coincedence in that?

malthus101 said:
Hi

I am paying $1400 a month in London for a bedroom that measures 12 feet by 10.5 feet - I share with 2 other friends, they have a room each (mine is the largest by far) I can hear my neighbour (not my friends, I mean a stranger neighbour!) through my bedroom wall as it is made of particle board (cardboard), I have a train line a stone's throw from my window where trains run every 10 minutes in both directions, and ALL my bills are extra. (Electricity, council tax (a UK thing), water, telephone, broadband, TV License, all extra. (Comes to probably $240 per month)

So total, with extras, $1700 a month for rent and bills.

This is not food, clothes, going out or mobile phone costs...

If I can earn the same as I do here, and live in BA, surely I can get more bang for my buck! (and not have to share with people anymore!)

Thanks

Malthus101

It's the earning bit that might be a problem! Otherwise BA costs about 1/3rd of London. I've been here for 2 years (and spent 6 weeks here a year for 13 years) and my "honeymoon period" is far from over. You can go out to (very excellent quality) free stuff 7 days a week if you sign up to the ministry of culture's excellent website and weekly emails. Travel costs, even in cabs are negligible compared to London. You can eat cheaply or expensively, take advantage of happy hour specials or pay top dollar at expensive clubs (though there is never pressure to keep buying drinks), enjoy warm weather (free and makes a huge difference) and the people are generally charming and helpful.

Come with some savings (calculate 6 months) to get you started and you will have a ball. I know a lot of long term expats that have no intention of leaving. They just don't really spend much time on expat websites or at events.

If you like city life, BA is the best city in the world at the moment in terms of its cultural/social offering, combined with a generally great climate and the fact it is always open. A last coffee or whiskey at 4.00 in the morning at a pavement cafe is never a problem. Having to watch where you step is a small sacrifice to make for the enormous amount of stuff on offer here.

Suerte and enjoy

None of the perm tourists/expats I know are regular drug users. Probably depends on the crowd you hang out with - mine tends to be people that are working, running businesses, etc not party kids. As for crime, also my experience that it's gotten less safe over the last few years. So while it's better than it was right after the crash, I think it's worse than it was in '05, 06, etc but since there are no accurate crime numbers, it's simply a perception. I personally feel a lot less safe and see a lot more street crime - your mileage may vary.

citygirl said:
None of the perm tourists/expats I know are regular drug users. Probably depends on the crowd you hang out with - mine tends to be people that are working, running businesses, etc not party kids. As for crime, also my experience that it's gotten less safe over the last few years. So while it's better than it was right after the crash, I think it's worse than it was in '05, 06, etc but since there are no accurate crime numbers, it's simply a perception. I personally feel a lot less safe and see a lot more street crime - your mileage may vary.

Mine are mainly Male, around 30, have been here 3 to 5 years, have long term relationships and work or have à business here

People that do drugs tend to hang around other people that do drugs. So if you're in a circle that it is common, well, you're going to see a lot of it. Like I said, none of the long-term expats/perma-tourists that I know now are regular drug users. Simply pointing out it's not something you can extrapolate to say because a sample size of N1 is drug users that most/all long-term expats or permatourists are drug users. That would be like me saying no long-term expats use drugs because none of my friends do.

There are those that do, those that don't and that's a truism for everywhere.

Maybe I'm green but I have no problem wit crumbling pavements - I choose to live in East London because it's so run down and dilapidated! Warm weather -that would be great; late night coffees - great. A third the cost of London - even better!

Modernization sucks..!

Thanks

Malthus101

Miles Lewis said:
It's the earning bit that might be a problem! Otherwise BA costs about 1/3rd of London. I've been here for 2 years (and spent 6 weeks here a year for 13 years) and my "honeymoon period" is far from over. You can go out to (very excellent quality) free stuff 7 days a week if you sign up to the ministry of culture's excellent website and weekly emails. Travel costs, even in cabs are negligible compared to London. You can eat cheaply or expensively, take advantage of happy hour specials or pay top dollar at expensive clubs (though there is never pressure to keep buying drinks), enjoy warm weather (free and makes a huge difference) and the people are generally charming and helpful.

Come with some savings (calculate 6 months) to get you started and you will have a ball. I know a lot of long term expats that have no intention of leaving. They just don't really spend much time on expat websites or at events.

If you like city life, BA is the best city in the world at the moment in terms of its cultural/social offering, combined with a generally great climate and the fact it is always open. A last coffee or whiskey at 4.00 in the morning at a pavement cafe is never a problem. Having to watch where you step is a small sacrifice to make for the enormous amount of stuff on offer here.

Suerte and enjoy

MizzMarr said:
I would agree with Citygirl for Xenezies, that they probably told you about the COL increase so you won't worry too much, but I *highly* doubt you'll be given that raise as you start since it's likely already been factored into your proposed wage.

I've actually long stince avoided hanging out with the "fresh off the boat" expats (I tend find them to be somewhat annoying during the honeymoon stage, and if they make it past that and have plans to stay longer I'd be more inclined to form a relationship--frankly I get sick to death of despedidas especially for people who've only been here a short time. I only go to despedidas of good friends now), and most of the people who I met when I was still fairly new (in my first couple of years) are long gone now. The expats I do spend time with now are long term people who have had babies here, businesses, or who have an Argentine partner/spouse.

Personally I'm planning a departure for early 2012. I think there's a mass exodus from Argentina now as the 'getting good' has mostly gone (I freely admit to a love/hate relationship with this place, and will definitely miss certain aspects of life here!), and I think it's going to get pretty tough for awhile as inflation and violence tend to increase.

I asked specifically about my salary and she said it would be updated as the company keeps all wages for each position the same. The increase was not included in the offer because they haven't determined how much they will increase for inflation company-wide. I will double check though, although there's little I can do now since I've accepted.

I hope it's not quite as bad as some of you are making it out to be. I think I've certainly read enough to prepare myself mentally for it, but when everyone giving you advice has different expectations for living you never know what will match you.

Barney said:
Do you guys and gals think the amount of expats/perm tourists is down?

Not at all, I think the # is increasing. I've heard reports that something like the amount of expats living in BA increases by 1,000 a month. Can't confirm that # though, was told by a friend at a bar.

withersdavis said:
Not at all, I think the # is increasing. I've heard reports that something like the amount of expats living in BA increases by 1,000 a month. Can't confirm that # though, was told by a friend at a bar.

I guess this is possible, but logically with the rapidly increasing COL you would expect the numbers to decline not increase. I doubt there are any stats available that can prove the argument one way or the other.

Well, I'll be another new stat in a couple of weeks - Some of "us" are still coming!

Back