Who Says Nothing Of Quality Comes From Argentina

Do you know how much a knife like that would cost from him?
My guess based on similar search in mercadolibre is anywhere from 6 -12K pesos. That said, some of those being sold, no doubt are probably mass produced. This artisan is clearly not in a hurry to finish; each step is meticulous.

My rule of thumb when buying cook wear (and I come from a long line of [professionally or not] kitchen bound folk), heavier is better. Hard-anodized or stainless steel with copper bottom pans weigh more, last longer, cook better than any lightweight materials with teflon or not. Distributes heat evenly and maintains heat after the flame has been extinguished; so you really have to know how to cook with your pot and pans. Teflon is good for things like crepe pans, but they are not a solution for the entire kitchen equipment list. Teflon is not something I use really as I find that it hinders how I cook (you always have to be so careful with Teflon). I like iron skillets, some enamel items, and I like to keep ceramic cookware for things like cooking eggs when I need a more non-stick pan.

Certain things are better if they are heavy: pots/pans, knives, speakers.

PS: damd the cost, these things are an investment in your home and life... spend what you're comfortable spending with this in mind. Cheap stuff...you get what you pay for.

Dearest troll,

I am no chemist but surely the following items should be taken into account:
  • the thickness of the teflon layer
  • the metal of the pan (a highly conductive metal means a rapid rise in temperature, which could wear off the teflon pretty quickly)
  • the treatment used to apply the teflon layer
  • any other material used, for example to stick the teflon to the metal (not sure if used).

What has an impact on the cooking is:
  • the material of the pan
  • the teflon-related issues (i.e. the factors mentioned above)
  • the material of the base
  • the thickness of the base
  • the shape of the pan (cheap pans get deformed pretty quickly)
In Italy, for example Berndes (German) and Risolì (Italian) are considered high quality, and they both use teflon, as well as stone. Other famous brand is Blaumann, but they use stone and ceramic.

I don't know Essen, what I said was simply that for me it would be hard to recognize a high quality saucepan based simply on the generic description and a picture on ML. I bought a wok here for my SIL, at Jumbo, I can't remember the brand, maybe it was even Tefal... but once I came home and compared it to mine, it looked like a IKEA saucepan.

Dearest ding dong,

That was a lot of writing to say "I don't know"

Just so you know, they're made of aluminium.

Sincerely,

Mr. Troll

For cooking, cast-iron is generally a good way to go. Cleans with water and a good brush or scrubbie, goes from stove to oven, cooks almost anything beautifully, lasts a lifetime. The cast-iron I've seen in Argentina seems to be of good quality.

Cast iron is good for what its good for and really bad for what is not good for.

I have quite a few cast iron pieces and I think "cooks almost anything beautifully" is a bit of an over statement.

Not to mention

You can clean most things to the standard of cast iron with water and a good brush.

You can put lots types of cookware directly in the oven. I wouldn't throw either of my two tinned copper pieces into a blazing hot finishing oven but even those which are by far my most delicate pans, can hold up to a low and slow cook in the oven.

Lots of pans will last a long time. Maybe not as long as cast iron but more than long enough.

I agree that the cast iron in Argentina is good I just wish it was as cheap as in the US (Lodge cookware from amazon, practically free).

The downsides of cast iron are that it's a terrible conductor of heat, it's reactive with food and it weighs a freaking ton.

There are few things that will give you the same feeling of capability as a beautiful, balanced, well-made knife in your hands.

The others I can think of off the top of my head are an F/A-18 Super Hornet, an M1 Garande, and a naked woman. :)

There are few things that will give you the same feeling of capability as a beautiful, balanced, well-made knife in your hands.

The others I can think of off the top of my head are an F/A-18 Super Hornet, an M1 Garande, and a naked woman. :)
I'd just be happy with an f/a18+super horny naked woman...... oh and steak......,and bourbon..... and bacon and eggs for breakfast .... and...... oh nevermind turned out that there are not a few things lol i can go on and on :p

I dunno, you Americans and your weapons , apart from the naked woman that is ,i`ll take that. Us brits are happy with a power drill and an old jaguar.

Back