Who Says Nothing Of Quality Comes From Argentina

I am a collector and purveyor of custom knives. When I returned to the states in January I brought 12 knives back from Buenos Aires.

That is one beautiful damascus bladed knife!

Many expats have commented on the low quality of cookware that is offered for sale in BA as well as the high prices of the "good" cookware. Even the asking prices for used cookware on Mercado Libre are incredibly high compared to ebay in the USA. There are a lot of items for sale on Mercado Libre that would never be offered for sale on ebay because they are in such bad shape. The shipping costs would exceed the value of the items!

In 2006 bought a few pieces of "professional" looking cookware at EASY in Palermo that were 4 mm thick. Even then an 18cm carcerola (sauce pan) cost about $30 USD and a 24cm carcerola with a handle cost over $40 USD. They had Teflon linings that are now rather worn down. I prefer unlined aluminum cookware that I can clean with a steel pad.

Yesterday I bought a 4mm thick aluminum carcerola with a solid aluminum handle on Mercado Libre for $280. It's the biggest of seven sizes that are available from the seller who is also the manufacturer in Argentina. I should receive it next week and if it is worth recommending to others I will do so in this thread. I will also buy two more (18mm/$140 and a 24mm/$180) if I like it and I will also post the address in BA of the seller's outlet.

Cacerola Con Mango Gastronómica Nª 30, 11 Litros Con Tapa!!!

Imho, it is quite hard to buy high quality kitchenware without assessing its weight. A good cooking depends heavily on the thickness and material of the base, since that's what determines the way the heat will spread and the evenly cooking of the food.

Second, I have high quality saucepans with inner Teflon, and high quality Teflon will last several years if treated properly, i.e. no dishwasher, no abrasive sponge. So far, I have been using them for almost 3 years and nothing has ever stuck, I never had to scrub them.

Third, in my Italian experience, if you can buy it in a supermarket, then is rubbish. Professional kitchenware will last a lifelong and is an investment. It is worth to spend more.
Here I was said that Tefal is considered high quality and I fell off my chair, in Italy it is a cheap brand sold in supermarkets.

I am not a big fan of aluminium pans since they convey heat very quickly and the food is likely to stick more or get burn more easily. I will stay tuned for your feedback and I will pray I will never have to buy cookwares here.

Many expats have commented on the low quality of cookware that is offered for sale in BA as well as the high prices of the "good" cookware. Even the asking prices for used cookware on Mercado Libre are incredibly high compared to ebay in the USA. There are a lot of items for sale on Mercado Libre that would never be offered for sale on ebay because they are in such bad shape. The shipping costs would exceed the value of the items!

In 2006 bought a few pieces of "professional" looking cookware at EASY in Palermo that were 4 mm thick. Even then an 18cm carcerola (sauce pan) cost about $30 USD and a 24cm carcerola with a handle cost over $40 USD. They had Teflon linings that are now rather worn down. I prefer unlined aluminum cookware that I can clean with a steel pad.

Yesterday I bought a 4mm thick aluminum carcerola with a solid aluminum handle on Mercado Libre for $280. It's the biggest of seven sizes that are available from the seller who is also the manufacturer in Argentina. I should receive it next week and if it is worth recommending to others I will do so in this thread. I will also buy two more (18mm/$140 and a 24mm/$180) if I like it and I will also post the address in BA of the seller's outlet.

Cacerola Con Mango Gastronómica Nª 30, 11 Litros Con Tapa!!!

I have several AL "ollas" and "cacerolas" like that. Perfectly fine for stocks, most sauces deep frying and boiling pasta. Not a replacement for a stainless or tin lined salute pan, the finish is not that fine and when you heat it "bites" the food. You'll also get some flavor distortion with acidic sauces, less noticable and less offensive than with iron, I don't mind personally.

Second, I have high quality saucepans with inner Teflon, and high quality Teflon will last several years if treated properly, i.e. no dishwasher, no abrasive sponge. So far, I have been using them for almost 3 years and nothing has ever stuck, I never had to scrub them.

I am not a big fan of aluminium pans since they convey heat very quickly and the food is likely to stick more or get burn more easily. I will stay tuned for your feedback and I will pray I will never have to buy cookwares here.

Dearest serafina,

What exactly do you think your "high quality sauce pans with inner teflon" are made out of?

serafina try ollas essen specially the old ones those are thick, heavy things. the new ones are thinner

Dearest serafina,

What exactly do you think your "high quality sauce pans with inner teflon" are made out of?

Dearest troll,

I am no chemist but surely the following items should be taken into account:
  • the thickness of the teflon layer
  • the metal of the pan (a highly conductive metal means a rapid rise in temperature, which could wear off the teflon pretty quickly)
  • the treatment used to apply the teflon layer
  • any other material used, for example to stick the teflon to the metal (not sure if used).

What has an impact on the cooking is:
  • the material of the pan
  • the teflon-related issues (i.e. the factors mentioned above)
  • the material of the base
  • the thickness of the base
  • the shape of the pan (cheap pans get deformed pretty quickly)
In Italy, for example Berndes (German) and Risolì (Italian) are considered high quality, and they both use teflon, as well as stone. Other famous brand is Blaumann, but they use stone and ceramic.

I don't know Essen, what I said was simply that for me it would be hard to recognize a high quality saucepan based simply on the generic description and a picture on ML. I bought a wok here for my SIL, at Jumbo, I can't remember the brand, maybe it was even Tefal... but once I came home and compared it to mine, it looked like a IKEA saucepan.

I think I paid my saucepans no less than €30-50 each (depending on the size) and I went to a discounted wholesaler. I am sure in the US you can buy an entire set for a lower price and with the same quality. Here in Argentina the choice is very limited, especially if you are just browsing the Internet and not heading to the pro stores.

Back