Whopping Edenor August bill

If in all months during quarantine they weren’t reading your meter they were under estimating your usage. They have now read your meter and corrected your usage in this month. Which shows as a massive consumption for the one month.
This might also have put you in a new tarfff bracket.

Good point - hadn't thought of that. Will check whether the previous bills were estimated.

Our bills went down during quarantine am waiting for the wife to open our bill and tell me the damage.

My bill was around $2500 before lockdown (it was that price there or abouts for at least a year). During the first months of the lockdown it fell to around $1,800. This month it's $5,800. Even if we remove the lower price during the lockdown because meters were not read, I don't think I increased my consumption by that much to jump from $2500 to $5,800, especially as my consumption certainly decreased because of no air con, etc.. I think fiddling is going on, maybe bumping me to a new category instead of simply raising the tarrif.

Assume they didn’t read the meter for 5 months. You were consuming 2500 but they calculated 1800. That’s 700 per month ‘debt’ you were accumulating, 700 x 5 = 3500. Plus your normal consumption for the month - 2500 + 3500 = 6000.
Something like that.
You’ll know next month if something ‘raro’ is going on.

If last month was “actual” and reflecting a “debt” from previous months, then shouldn’t the tariff bucket still be according to the month of consumption and not applied entirely to last month?

Well I guess it’s just an automatic thing and you might be able to make a ‘reclamo’. I’m not sure how you would prove what you actually used each month unless you had a photo of the meter from each month that it wasn’t read.

If last month was “actual” and reflecting a “debt” from previous months, then shouldn’t the tariff bucket still be according to the month of consumption and not applied entirely to last month?
That's a tactic used by Uruguay's power company. UTE reads the meters every two months, then applies the higher rate. To avoid this, take a picture of your meter each month and send it to UTE. I assume the same can be done here.

Just thinking ..... life here is a constant struggle to keep the sharks at bay. That is a pain, but it also keeps us fit and nimble. Everything has its good side.....!

Even if the readings were estimated, the fixed charge went up from $220 to $1463. That's up 5.65 times.
Our bill went up from 800 to 4500....

but we did buy a 2000 watt heater and were using it alot. The problem is that when you use more electricity the fixed charge also increases, which is total BS but thats what you get with a monopoly. Our usage increase 3 fold but the bill went up 5 fold...

to the person saying that they aren’t checking meters thats BS as they check ours over a month ago

Back