Why a facade of indifference?

Congrats Kalley!!

the procedures to get your DNI when you marry a local are certainly nothing compared to another sort of residencias.
Do you think Argentine Immigration Authorities are very lax when it comes to who comes and stays in the country when comparing it to countries in Europe? I'm basically talking about the rules and requirements, you know what I mean?

There is a general culture of mistrust, combined with an almost sociopathic sense of "there is no reason your convenience should be my inconvenience" (in other words: me first, f__k you). I haven't been to every country in world, but I've been around. I haven't seen this kind of rudeness outside of Asia. Add to this the "look at me!" schitck and you get a pretty entertaining mix, provided you are amused by such things.

I'm a native of NYC, grew up there. Several things about down here that are big no-nos in NYC: you DO NOT deliberately walk into another person unless you are looking for a confrontation (yes, we all have accidents, and we all understand that), and you don't invite eye contact unless you are looking for a fight or are flirting. This thing with staring at each other and men looking deep into the eyes of other men down here is beyond me. At first I thought it was gay, but not necessarily.

Matt84 said:
ladies wont smile at you, Really? go to colonia ...

Different country, even if Argies prefer to think otherwise ;^)

angelskywalker said:
Congrats Kalley!!

the procedures to get your DNI when you marry a local are certainly nothing compared to another sort of residencias.
Do you think Argentine Immigration Authorities are very lax when it comes to who comes and stays in the country when comparing it to countries in Europe? I'm basically talking about the rules and requirements, you know what I mean?

Thanks for the congrats! I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll keep my response short. I agree that the requirements for permanent residency through marriage seem a bit less rigorous than for other types of visas/temp residencies, but I wouldn't say they're "nothing" either. ;)

I'm from the U.S., so I really can't comment knowledgeably on the E.U.'s immigration laws and requirements as compared to Argentina's. If you'd like to chat further, feel free to send me a private message or leave a comment on my blog. ¡Saludos!

steveinbsas said:
I can't imagine any Argentines demonstrating indifference to strangers having the slighest thought that anyone else will think they are from New York or thinking to themselves that they are acting like (or even superior to) a New Yorker by doing so.

(Isn't that what emulation means?)

Yes sir, you got it right.

Pretty absurd question, isn't it? But, as you may have noticed, imitation is what humans are best at (at least everywhere I've been) .

I'd just like to know how these things come about.

JoeBlow said:
I'd just like to know how these things come about.

Big cities breed this. In this sense BsAs, NYC, London and Tokyo are alike. Humans have to cut down on the huge inflow of sensory input and encountering thousands of strangers daily. A book by Desmond Morris -- "The Human Zoo" -- is useful in explaining things like this.

Argentines aren't the most friendly people to strangers. I'm not sure if it's the big city attitude or what, but if you're expecting people to hold doors open for you with a smile, you're going to be disappointed. There's no phony smiles or cheerfulness here, especially if they're in a hurry.

I wouldn't say they're as rude as New York, and once you get to know them they're quite friendly (I've gotten literally sick from having to kiss acquaintances every time I see them.) It's just a slightly different demeaner than the US South or Midwest. Americans often come off as naive, fake, or overly cheerful with big smiles and cheery "hello!!"

As for New York, most Argentines have never been to or give a care about New York. They consider themselves "a piece of Europe in America"... but there's no conscious emulation except perhaps in fashion and lifestyle to that of Europeans (much of which is imported, not emulated.)

bigbadwolf said:
Big cities breed this. In this sense BsAs, NYC, London and Tokyo are alike. Humans have to cut down on the huge inflow of sensory input and encountering thousands of strangers daily. A book by Desmond Morris -- "The Human Zoo" -- is useful in explaining things like this.

I've lived in a few large cities (not the ones you mention), and there was nothing like this. I wouldn't chalk it up to big cityness.

I understand, again, that we're talking about customs that all the locals are accostumed to (valga la redundancia), but I am curious to know where they come from, and how long they'll be with us. You know, typical ponderings on our species.

Which friendly big cities have you lived in?

Back