Why are Argentines so Angry?

malbec said:
Those posting they are "experts" haven't lived long enough in BA, I think. With time you learn the tricks and get enough experience to deal with everyday's life. Of course spanish will be necessary.
All the people I know in BA have a pretty normal life and they are happy to live in the city.
Judging hapiness by how often people smile on the streets is quite...absurd. In any case, give me anyday an angry - but sincere - face rather than a "plastic" fake smile (à la McDonald's)

I don't judge happiness by the how often people smile on the street - I judge it when I talk to my friends, my family here in Buenos Aires and listen to what they want, what they wish for, what they have. They are not happy to live in Buenos Aires. When I tell them I used to live in Canada, the invariable response is ""why would you ever come here from there?"'

They are wrong, of course, the supposed ""first world"" isn't all it's cracke dup to be and Argentineans have a lot to be thankful for and they take it for granted. But I don't think they are happy. They are resigned.

If that was directed at me, I don't think I have ever claimed to be an "expert". And yes, maybe it will get easier after 5 years or 10 years.

But since my experience is that every porteño I know complains more than I do about the same things, I'm not sure it's b/c I am an extranjera. The frustrations seem to be universal in Buenos Aires.

Big cities are hard to live in generally (and I'm a city girl). You have noise, pollution, lots of people trying to co-exist in a small space, traffic, etc, etc, . Big cities that are expensive and inefficient are twice as hard to live in.

Who are they angry at?

I'm sure it isn't expats who live here in defiance of the immigration laws.

Well, at least I hope not.

Steve - I highly doubt they're angry about the perma-tourists who put money into the economy, rent their apts at foreigner rates and spend money in clubs and bars and restaurants.

(And since no one has ever showed any type of law stipulating timeframes, saying permatourists live here in "defiance of immigration laws" is misleading at best)

citygirl said:
Steve - I highly doubt they're angry about the perma-tourists who put money into the economy, rent their apts at foreigner rates and spend money in clubs and bars and restaurants.

(And since no one has ever showed any type of law stipulating timeframes, saying permatourists live here in "defiance of immigration laws" is misleading at best)

Misleading to whom?

Permatourists are scofflaws and they know it!

(I was being facetious when I said that I was sure they (Argentines) were not angry at the permatourists!)

But the folks at migrations may have a different attitude.

That's their job, after all.

There is a difference between law and policy and migraciones no doubt has the power to define the latter when the "laws" are not clear.

The law does "say" that a tourist visa is good for 90 days and may be extended once.

Leaving and reentering the country has been the "loophole" that allows "permatourists" to live here year round.

I daresay it could close at any moment, even if there is no "change" in the laws...just a change in policy!

Perhaps it is terribly misleading to let them to believe otherwise.

gouchobob said:
Thanks JP for setting me up, we aren't really working in concert. Yes you can pay (some) bills online, let me go through the process. First you have to open a local bank account. I did it and took 5 trips, on one I was told I needed a local utility bill, I returned with same but was told it needed to be a paid bill. Remember I had to travel to the bank each time and stand in line each time, opening a bank account took around 5 hours total, and remember this is for a savings account!

All true, but opening an account in a foreign country is generally a nightmare, and once its all done it makes life a thousand times easier.

Pagosmiscuentas is great for online bills. Been using it for two years, saves massive headaches, and you can recharge your phone on it as well (one less hassle). I don't have a single regular bill I can't pay online. Makes life a hell of a lot easier, really recommend it.

Living in a foreign city is hard work, and there's an unavoidable grind to things being unfamiliar. But at least that grind can be minimised...

steveinbsas said:
Who are they angry at?

Just you, they will come for you tonight.

There are those, mostly Peronists who support the Kirchners and their "brownshirt" antagonists, who believe the opposite; but for those who have their eyes open, they look at other countries, countries where their ancestors come from for example, and try to get visas/residency/citizenship in those countries with a thought of leaving. Sadly, because they love Argentina, but they also just want a chance to have a chance, and many do not feel like they have it in Argentina, whether it be in Cordoba or Buenos Aires.

And we are "the people". Deal with it. So some upper-middle class folk have it difficult to rent their SPARE appartments. Oh, I feel so sorry for them. Sheesh. They can sell and drive the prices down if they want. I full y agree with the statization of the Private Pension Funds (which were a scam, if you know your mathematics) and other measures by this government.

Who are they angry at?

Well, you drive the rent up in certain neighborhoods. That said, I like having a cosmopolitan city (even if it is becamoing a city for rich people, like many other capitals in the world).

Back