Why are the eggs not kept refrigerated?

DA

Registered
Why are the eggs not kept refrigerated in the grocery stores and restaurants? Not keeping the eggs refrigerated will promote Salmonella. Is Salmonella or getting violently sick not a problem here in Argentina? Let me know please so i can eat some eggs.

"DA" said:
Why are the eggs not kept refrigerated in the grocery stores and restaurants? Not keeping the eggs refrigerated will promote Salmonella. Is Salmonella or getting violently sick not a problem here in Argentina? Let me know please so i can eat some eggs.
No idea, but if there are no reports of the natives getting sick, I'm O.K. with it. It's like the time when I was in Thailand, they had these fried insects for sale at an open market in the north. I've tried it just out of curiosity and it turned out to be REALLY good. I figured the same rules applies here, if it's O.K. with the natives, and they're not getting sick, I'm O.K. with it.

It's perfectly okay to store eggs at room temp...but once you put them in the frig they need to be kept at that temp., baking excluded.
The U.S. is about the only country the stores them in the frig section of the grocery store..I am sure it has to do with the FDA rules and regulations.
So go ahead and enjoy the eggs here! I have had to wash a few...:(....so watch out for that! I buy the large brown eggs..just prefer them! If you get to the Belgrano market the vendor in the back corner near the exit has the BEST eggs!! Yolks are orange and are wonderful!!! His chicken is great too...and he delivers for free..I have him deliver all the time..nice people!

I have never kept eggs in the fridge, nor to my knowledge have I ever had salmonella.
Eggs are sealed at thier creation, the ultimate in long lasting convenience foods. Just enjoy them and do not worry.

Eggs are not refrigerated at any market or supermarket where I've shopped in DC, or anywhere else in the States. Where have you seen eggs stored in the refrigerated compartment? For that matter, in Berlin, the last place we lived, eggs were also stored in a rack out on the aisles. I could be wrong about this, but I thought if salmonella was in an egg it was because it was passed from the chicken that popped out the egg, or was a later addition after the egg was opened and processed into something else. Don't hold me to this. I'm no expert.

DA, get 1/2 a dozen of eggs refrigerate 3 and then leave 3 on the counter (no direct sunlight) and test one or two at a time from each batch and see and compare how that affects you. That is one way to see how YOUR body reacts to unrefrigerated eggs. Most likely nothing will happen but I can see where your concerns are coming from. Remember, just cook the eggs well. Bon apetite!

HDM...I lived in Washington State and also Alaska...all stores I have ever shopped in there the eggs were kept in the same type of refrigeration as the dairy products. This includes Food Co-ops too...in my travels down the West Coast...all in cool cases...
Check out this website for more info on Salmonella....most Ceasar Salad Dressings in restaurants no longer use raw eggs for the publics fear of Salmonella...at least in the States...
http://www.aeb.org/LearnMore/EggSafety.htm

Nice web site... I think. Maybe I don't want to know all this?

My wife informs me that Safeway here keeps eggs in the refrigerated case with milk and yogurt, etc. I shop mostly at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, and they do not. Since some do and some don't, I am curious what difference it makes. I have not bought eggs from a refrigerated case in . . . well, in memory. Although after getting them home, I put them in the fridge. We probably eat too many of the things anyway. So far, eggs or egg products have not made me sick. (That sound was me knocking on wood.)

I went to the store(COTO) today and purchased 3 different brands of eggs, they where Cotos Huevos frescos, Cereal gur and CormilloT, the first 2 boxes clearly stated: Mantener en lugar fresco entre 8 y 15 degrees Celsius, and the 3rd box said: Conservar en lugar fresco de 8 a 15 degrees Celsius, now my Spanish is not so good so maybe someone can translate these 2 sentences written on the egg boxes, do they mean that you have to keep the eggs refrigerated or do they mean that it does not make a difference but they suggest to keep them between 8 and 15 degrees Celsius, if the later why the specific 8 y 15 degrees? I am confused because if it does mean that they have to be kept refrigerated the grocery stores and restaurant should be obligated to do so.

Back