Why are there so much earthquakes lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
esllou said:
their own figures on the left state there is an average of one 8+ earthquake per year. That is based on a long term average...since 1900 I believe. Therefore the question you should be asking is "why were the 80s so quiet in regards to 8+ earthquakes?"

ah, but that's not quite so "sexy", is it?

The 2000s decade, going by the USGS's own long term average, should have produced ten 8+ earthquakes. There were 13. That is statistically insignificant. You can't compare one decade with two historically quiet decades and start making comparisons. You have to compare all of them with the long term average and once you do that, your "zionist republican sarah palin lovers' conspiracy to rule the world" theory falls shame-faced into a crack in the earth.

This debate is not political nor is is about Palin or Obama and it shows the superficiality of the poster above to debase this topic.

The topic was started as it is clearly of interest to a lot of people and there is no denying worldwide unusual weather events are happening on a grander scale than in our lifetimes since the 1960s

There are some very serious concerns out there about all the dormant volcanoes reactivating as well as the major earthquakes of late. That is the nature of this thread.

Lets keep the subject on topic and keep cheap politics out of this.

nobody's debating the weather is changing over the last 20-30 years. It's called climate change and I think there were one or two news stories about it. :rolleyes:

please answer the question I asked. How are 13 8+ earthquakes in a decade when the historical average is 10 statistically significant?

You compared a below-average decade with an above-average decade and said "voila! There's been an increase." You would have been thrown out of Statistics 101 on the first day for doing that.

gouchobob said:
Sorry, but this isn't the most intelligent discussion I've seen on this board.

the same thread came up after haiti. As soon as facts and statistics started getting brought out, they slunk away. It seems like it's going to be a regular occurrence this year every time there's an earthquake. It must be the latest we-never-went-to-the-moon-idiots "thing".

French jurist said:
The real question is : is this increase in earthquakes above 8 a statistical anomaly or not.

Yes exactly, and until we have statistics on that we can't say whether it is unprecedented or not. So many people here have an opinion without actually having seen the data.

The people at USGS don't think its unprecendented, and the reasons for this have been given exhaustively.

While we're on the topic of weather/nature...

I got here in '07 and each fall has been progressively colder. When is this Global Cooling going to end?!?!?!?

Global Climate Change leads to melting which leads to more moisture in the air and as a result, more snow and cooler temps over time.

So in answer to your question - probably not going to change anytime soon;)

JP you simply are justifying everything with carbon copy answers . We all know who are living in Planet Earth that there is more earthquakes now than before . Why are you trying to deny this as the figures do not lie.

Have you forgetten Haiti and the Tsunami which killed over 700000 people . These events have not happened for hundreds of years and were a product of once every three or four milleniums . Of course you will not have an answer as always.

cabrera said:
We all know who are living in Planet Earth that there is more earthquakes now than before .

You may be living in earth (is it why it is such a preoccupation ?!), we do live on it. In the Cordoba province, near Capilla del Monte, there is supposed to be an underground world. What do they think about it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back