Why aren't grocery store cashiers more friendly?

Fiscal

Registered
They don't ever make eye contact, act like they are doing me a favor every time I pay, and can barely mutter a word when I say hello and thank you. Why?

They don't ever make eye contact, act like they are doing me a favor every time I pay, and can barely mutter a word when I say hello and thank you. Why?

This is the culture of Argentina and you will have to accept it if you wish to live here for the long term . Do not sweat the small stuff!!!

I wonder about the same thing and believe (please correct me if i'm wrong guessing) what @Fiscal is really asking is why haven't they thought about improving their customer service in order to better their own business model which would then result in a win-win situation for everybody. Or put differently, what is it about Argentines that they don't pay attention to their inadequate attitude in the professional setting? Is being a cashier or a store owner translates to feeling psychologically superior to customers in some strange way?

I go to a few stores whose clerks are friendly. The friendly ones are often Venezuelan or Colombian. (Not to say there aren't friendly Argentines, of course). It's probably the same in New York City versus Austin, Texas - just cultural difference.

This is the culture of Argentina and you will have to accept it if you wish to live here for the long term . Do not sweat the small stuff!!!

Seems hit or miss to me. Starbucks, expensive restaurants, and hipster bars/restaurants seem to have fairly friendly staff. Then other places I just feel like I constantly get "what the f do you want?" stares.

I go to a few stores whose clerks are friendly. The friendly ones are often Venezuelan or Colombian. (Not to say there aren't friendly Argentines, of course). It's probably the same in New York City versus Austin, Texas - just cultural difference.

I too notice that employees that are immigrants tends to be friendlier as well.

I think you just go to the wrong stores. I go to a lot of stores, both close to my house and in other parts of the city, where argentine workers are friendly and nice to me. In my neighborhood, I have known many of them for up to 10 years. That helps, of course.
I also often try to communicate, making the humanity a two way street.
Also, I avoid Coto or Jumbo or similar big chains- I go to small, family owned businesses, both here and in the USA, whenever possible. I buy my granola at one dietetica, for example, a few blocks away, run by a very nice older couple, and for years, they have always been friendly to every customer who walks in. Versus New Garden, with many locations around the city, and lots of bored 20 somethings working there who would rather be somewhere else. My local pasta makers, greengrocers, bakeries, and even chinos are all pretty friendly. One of the greengrocers even gave my wife a christmas present last year- a keychain with flashlight. A small thing, but certainly more than you would ever get by saving a peso at Carrefour.

I always get eye contact and friendlyness. If anything they are overly friendly and chatty which makes the queue take more than it should! I suspect that what ries says is right. If you speak to the cashier's, make an effort to be nice etc, then they will treat you accordingly. If you treat them coldly (read businesslike for expat sensibilities) then you'll probably get the lack of eye contact etc that you describe. Good Luck! ;-)

It depends on the individual but it's true that there is a Porteño aattitude problem. It's a kind of resentment that they aren't getting out of life what they think they deserve. I agree that Venezuelans and Colombians are friendlier -- and many Argentines have said the same to me. I understamd many employers prefer to hire them for service jobs.

Back