Why aren't grocery store cashiers more friendly?

Versus New Garden, with many locations around the city, and lots of bored 20 somethings working there who would rather be somewhere else.

Awe, not a knock on New Garden. Although Zentra has stolen my expat heart recently, New Garden people are friendly, too.

For me, it’s the places that have ridiculous long lines that tend to have the unfriendly people. I, like you, prefer the smaller businesses (except when it comes to New Garden and Zentra, lol).

Hmm never have any unfriendly encounters up here. But I shop the same markets all the time and know the cashiers.

I discussed this today with an Argentine friend. How view is that people in the rest of Latin America are more accepting of their situation in life. They make do with less and they have a greater capacity to be happy with less. The situation in Venezuela, he pointed out, is so serious that many have left out of desperation. They're grateful to have enough food to eat and for the medical care they receive. They approach their work with in a more positive and cheerful way. Not all cashiers in BA are nasty but it's true that customer service is generally poor. People at this level earn very little and it has to be frustrating to see people buying a lot of expensive food that the cashiers cannot afford to buy themselves. The Venezuelan may be grateful that he is not hungry and not begrudge the Porteño who can buy more but the Porteño has an inflated value of his worth. it's a part of the culture that has evolved over decades. I had a chat with a Frenchman a few months ago who had worked in BA for awhile. He loved BA but found Porteños "difficult". When I replied "arrogant" to his "difficult" he nodded in assent.

They don't ever make eye contact, act like they are doing me a favor every time I pay, and can barely mutter a word when I say hello and thank you. Why?

You only shop at the big chain stores, right? Such as Jumbo, Easy, Coto. That's the reason you don't receive any greetings.

One of many reasons I love living in the city of Buenos Aires is shopping in my neighborhood where the owners greet me with a smile by name! And then thank me as I leave their shops. This reminds me of how it was during the 1950s and 60s in Chicago, before life became a rat race. Personal attention requires so little effort, and the benefit is the customers return.

I discussed this today with an Argentine friend. How view is that people in the rest of Latin America are more accepting of their situation in life. They make do with less and they have a greater capacity to be happy with less. The situation in Venezuela, he pointed out, is so serious that many have left out of desperation. They're grateful to have enough food to eat and for the medical care they receive. They approach their work with in a more positive and cheerful way. Not all cashiers in BA are nasty but it's true that customer service is generally poor. People at this level earn very little and it has to be frustrating to see people buying a lot of expensive food that the cashiers cannot afford to buy themselves. The Venezuelan may be grateful that he is not hungry and not begrudge the Porteño who can buy more but the Porteño has an inflated value of his worth. it's a part of the culture that has evolved over decades. I had a chat with a Frenchman a few months ago who had worked in BA for awhile. He loved BA but found Porteños "difficult". When I replied "arrogant" to his "difficult" he nodded in assent.

WTF are you trying to say? That they should accept slavery with a smile?

Spain is just as bad for customer service. Quite possibly worse.

what a non important subject... what about the Pakistani attendants at 7&11 stores in LA?

Back