Why aren't there more expats in Uruguay?

Uruguay is like the eastern Europe of South America, IIRC average age there is high 30's, very high for Latin America & they've got a shrinking population problem. You see lots of old, decrepit looking people limping around dim, grey commie block looking housing.

Whatever is going on in Uruguay, it's nothing good & There's a lot nicer spots in Latin America you can chose.

Land and houses seem a lot cheaper in Uruguay vs Argentina. I looked at some homes and deptos around José Ignacio and the little towns in between there and Punta del Este and was pleasantly surprised. However food is so expensive. Dinner for two at a mediocre restaurant is $150.

Interesting, I didn't realize real estate around Jose Ignacio was so affordable.

Could you argue that culturally the two are very similar countries (I see memes comparing Uruguay to Shelbyville in the Simpsons) and henceforth the only material differences for expats are size of country, cost of living, ease of immigration procedures and presumably Argentina wins on most of these fronts
Uruguay was a province of Argentina.

Interesting, I didn't realize real estate around Jose Ignacio was so affordable.
I wouldn't call it "affordable" but I think prices for real estate in Argentina seem really inflated. Jose Ignacio is a luxe beach town yet in terms of real estate you seem to be able to get a lot more for your money.

Back