Why Argentines don't look for new friends

Hey, you're not being bad. It's just how it is here. I lived in Bs As for almost 4 years and made a lot of local friends. But this year things went bad for me with family (a terrible tragedy) and my own health was very bad - and when this happened my
"Argie friends" ran for the hills, rather than help me. It's just how it is here! I don't like it, I don't admire it............but it is was it is - so I decided to leave.
It's not an easy or helpful life here when you're alone....

It's just how it is here!
Sure, just because you are unable to find good friends.
I am sorry for your tragedy, but you should consider start looking at you first. Or do you think you are the only among 14 Million people who wouldn't 'run for the hills'?

With this attitude and this 'supremacy' spirit you have I sure wouldn't be your friend. Sorry for being brutally honest.

EireannJ said:
Just thought I should add the other side of the argument here...
In the past few weeks alone I've been invited into four Argentine family's homes, and to a local wedding, where everyone was really welcoming. I had an Argentine boyfriend for a while and him, his family, his friend's families and even his extended family all took me in, fed me, and chatted to me (and my spanish is just about intermediate).

I have a great friend here who lives in Provincia and she often invites me out to her very modest home for a traditional asado, where her grandmoter insists I come to visit her too.

And these are 'typical' people who have grown up and lived in the same place forever, with the same group of friends from school etc. etc.

Maybe I've just been very lucky, over and over, but I don't think we can tar all Argentinians with the same brush.

No, I wouldn't attribute it to luck.

Many times Argentines, in more ways than one, treat foreigners much better than they do other Argentines. Being a foreigner has opened tons of doors (literally and figuratively) for me.

Dolly said:
Hey, you're not being bad. It's just how it is here. I lived in Bs As for almost 4 years and made a lot of local friends. But this year things went bad for me with family (a terrible tragedy) and my own health was very bad - and when this happened my
"Argie friends" ran for the hills, rather than help me. It's just how it is here! I don't like it, I don't admire it............but it is was it is - so I decided to leave.
It's not an easy or helpful life here when you're alone....

So sorry to hear you went through all that alone. Nothing worse than-fair weather friends who give us a false sense of security: we count on them but when things get hairy they just vanish.

since this site censors and bans people without warning I have gone with my thoughts elsewhere
progress.gif

Liam3494 said:
Geez - Never an accusation made to me :).... Usually the opposite, mind you, I am originally from the emerald isle.... :)

ditto..I am the one mum at school hosting tea/glogg/cake and poker parties..and wondering why only a few mums feel the need to be really social in return....it isnt me honest..I´m Irish but fairly sober and upstanding most of the time...

I arrived late in this thread, but here go my thoughts on this subject:

First, I have to say that I'm a bit surprised by the experiences shared here, both from expats and locals.

I am a local, and if I ever come across someone who says that he/she has only room for friends from the neighbourhood, elementary school and the like (eg those whose friendship started very early in life), I'd just considered it weird, and certainly not a representative Argentinian trait.

To tell you the truth, I came across people like that, but in rare occasions. All the people I know (including myself) are open to new friends and do have friends that they picked up in different stages of life.

I, for example, have friends from work and college (the present), some from high school (I really don't see them often), and I don't have friends from elementary school. Well, I have to admit that two years ago I participated in a reunion of my elementary school classmates (some of them), and since then, from time to time, we meet to have a nice time, but that was thanks to Facebook! And BTW, we can have like months on end without being in contact and it's ok.

I think, though, that there is some truth in the fact that Argentinians tend to keep earlier friendships more than in, say, US. But that is just that: a tendency, a question of degree. Not to be taken as representative of the whole Argentinians. And BTW, if someone tends to keep more friendships from the past, that doesn't necessarily mean that he/she is closed to any new friendship. But again, this is just a tendency.

My view is that some expats have encountered some people here that match this tendency: "In Argentina people tend to keep friendships from the past more than in other places". And, based on this, those expats generalize and think that it's representative of Argentinians to be like that.

It's as if I go to country X and see that there are more blond people than in my country, and then I think "People from country X are blond", whereas maybe a minority are blond in country X, but just a bigger minority than in my country.

Finally, I would like to say that I'm NOT trying to imply that some of the posters here ACTUALLY went along the lines of the reasoning mentioned above (the one exemplified by country X and blonds), but that's the impression I got when I read the threads, just that.

Cheers,
Santiago

fifs2 said:
ditto..I am the one mum at school hosting tea/glogg/cake and poker parties..and wondering why only a few mums feel the need to be really social in return....it isnt me honest..I´m Irish but fairly sober and upstanding most of the time...

Well, anytime you want to get unsober, and fall down, let us know, we meet up for Frinks regulalry :)....

Back