Why can't I get what I pay for at Starbucks?

thebookcellar said:
funny thread, really it is...
but it is just another thread of those demanding that things be like it is in the US.
The woman in Starbucks is right - this is Argentina, and its how its done here... If an American came to my home town in England and critisized how i pour my pint of ale then i would have a cheeky remark. And i would also take your money. Dont tell the Indians they cant cook curry how you like it and dont tell the Chinese they dont have good noodle soup.

Maté/Steak/Empanadas. was it tangobob that said stay local?

Thebookcellar....

In reading the original post all the person wanted was what they paid for...Starbuck's "offers" the extra syrup or whatever "if" you pay for it...he had done so...the girl was out of line, way out of line! If it would have been me I would have asked for the manager to get the issue resolved, being rude gets you no where in this world, she has a lot to learn, sadly she probably doesn't even realize that.

It is her job to provide good customer service....very simple really....
A + B = C.....somewhere she made it equal D....it's not rocket science to make an espresso drink and if she was having a bad day don't take it out on the customer.

Good customer service is very hard to find here...when I do get it, I thank them over and over!

And really, coffee, no matter how it's prepared is pretty local no matter what country you live in.

thebookcellar said:
but it is just another thread of those demanding that things be like it is in the US.
The woman in Starbucks is right - this is Argentina, and its how its done here... If an American came to my home town in England and critisized how i pour my pint of ale then i would have a cheeky remark. And i would also take your money. Dont tell the Indians they cant cook curry how you like it and dont tell the Chinese they dont have good noodle soup.

Maté/Steak/Empanadas. was it tangobob that said stay local?

Sorry to be picky, but Curry is a purely English invention. Go to a good Indian Restaurant and get a Masala, Rogan Josh, Tika, you name it, but you won't get a curry. Curry? that was us showing the Indians how it should be done.

thebookcellar said:
The woman in Starbucks is right - this is Argentina, and its how its done here... If an American came to my home town in England and critisized how i pour my pint of ale then i would have a cheeky remark. And i would also take your money.

Well DUH!

In case you forgot Starbucks is an American coffee company. Their corporate culture is American, and that obviously has worked very well for them, as you can find a Starbucks at every other corner in major cities across Canada and USA.

Where did you read I criticized the employee? I paid for extra syrup which they happily took my money for... and I simply expected to get what I paid for. Simple concept really.

If you opened an English pub here that was a famous chain based on English corporate culture, I'm sure you'd expect a bit of consistency especially the way they pour that pint of ale.

Funny to read this again after so long. Since my post on this thread I ventured into a Starbucks in Houston, desperate for an espresso. The little girl behind the counter had no idea what an espresso was...no joke. That says everything you need to know about Starbucks.

I read the original post. The problem was referring to being in Argentina. Coming from a foreigner that irritated the server and she replied with a surly "that's how we do it in Argentina". There was no reason for mentioning the country he was in. To be honest. I find a lot of rude service in the US and plenty of people with an attitude. It's not just Argentina. Speaking of Starbucks, I hate the place. I was in a Starbucks in Palermo once and bought a sandwich which was expensive and far from fresh. I complained and was given my money back.

Try ordering an iced latte at Havanna. Try asking how many "shots" one of their drinks has.

Starbucks is the only place I know of that:

1. Makes expresso with dark roasted beans. If there is another coffee house that uses either French or Italian roasted beans I would sure like to know about it.

2. Make a shaken lemon ice tea (green, black or hibiscus). And they are always happy to give me less sugar.

I personally have boycotted Starbucks in the US because Howard Shultz, head of Starbucks, sold Seattle's beloved Supersonics basketball team to Oklahoma. But I do need my dark roast and ice tea here in Buenos Aires.

T/

Back