Why Do People Destroy Things Here?

jbhenson

Registered
I am curious after watching for many years, on the news etc, people have marches, protest. Then all of a sudden someone starts burning tires, cars, the buses or trains. Or the people who are being fired destroy equipment utilized at the work place.

Newest example the hospital workers destroyed the MRI machine.

Why do they do that, i mean they are only hurting themselves, they might even need to use what they destroyed at a later date, but don't think about the consequences of their actions.

What purpose does destroying things do?

How does that hurt the politicians who they are mad at?

It seems to me they only hurt themselves but just don't know it yet!

I don't know why, maybe to draw attention in a more bold way than the rest.

They do it also in Naples, they literally put on fire trash bins and piles of trash (their ordinary home trash). But what I don't really understand is the vandalism I see in Italy and that I haven't seen here.

Petty vandalism, you might call it. Like stolen road signs, stolen handles from public restrooms, stolen bathroom seats, stolen soap, stolen safety equipment, emergency devices (like those used to break glass on a train or bus in case of emergency, seats on public transport that are either tore, spat, have gum on them, with graffiti all over...

Also people carving trees and plants with names (like actual trees, big aloe leaves, etc.), writing their name on stones in nice landscapes, etc. There is no art in that stuff!

I am curious after watching for many years, on the news etc, people have marches, protest. Then all of a sudden someone starts burning tires, cars, the buses or trains. Or the people who are being fired destroy equipment utilized at the work place.

Newest example the hospital workers destroyed the MRI machine.

Why do they do that, i mean they are only hurting themselves, they might even need to use what they destroyed at a later date, but don't think about the consequences of their actions.

What purpose does destroying things do?

How does that hurt the politicians who they are mad at?

It seems to me they only hurt themselves but just don't know it yet!
because they're c*nts?

It Happens everywhere But the law isn't tough enough with them The fear of God must be put in them and then carried out! END! PERIOD!

NobodySpecial:
Have you ever heard the story about the Chinese peasant who was so crazed by the impossibility of bettering his state in life that he committed suicide on his master's doorstep?
Since Argentines only recently are beginning to participate in governing themselves,in times past,in my view,they vented their frustration and anger in destroying public property.
I have come to this conclusion after visiting other Latin countries like Chile and Colombia where such conduct is much less observable and questioning local people
about it.
This is another cultural problem that hopefully wil begin to correct itself soon.

more so Colombiaaaaaa

someone here once started a thread about a conversation with argentine friends about going to a clinic instead of a public hospital. he told them he rather go to a clinic as he didn`t want to be a burden. he told them he didn`t want them to have to pay for his assistance. he was told no one has to pay as its free. when he asked who pays the doctors and nurses they replied cristina did. as joes1980 says public things belong to noone.

I don't think it's just the political side of things where the question needs to be asked. Raising three young ladies and interacting with the youth here, particularly males, I see a lot of unnecessary destruction of things just because "it's cool". We've had a couple of parties in our house with our oldest and I had to finally ban most of her male classmates because they go wild and destroy things. Now that she's in university she runs with calmer people - but they're mostly foreigners. She has almost no male Argentine friends, though she has maintained friendship with her female Argentine friends, who are much more calm than their male counterparts. In fact, she has a Colombian boyfriend, most of her male friends are Colombian and Peruvian (whom she met at university) and she doesn't really like being around young Argentine males at all because of how they behave.

There was a party last night in the apartment above us. A mother with two kids, one of them about 19 or 20, live there. The mother and the younger one go somewhere for the weekend fairly often and the older one stays and has parties. Until about 5:30 in the morning this morning, young Argentine males screaming at the tops of their lungs, jumping up and down on the floor, and you can hear things crashing and breaking. It's not uncommon that the police come at some point, although about 4:00 am, this time, things calmed down this and no police came.

I have friends who own a quite famous bar here in town with two locations in Recoleta and Palermo. The Palermo location has a rooftop open patio. They've had to install metal fencing up about three meters above the parapet walls (which are already about 2-3 meters high) because the guys get drunk and start throwing chairs and other stuff off the roof. They've had to replace sinks in their bathrooms (usually the always the men's) constantly because they get shattered by whatever the guys do in the bathroom.

I could go on and on. But it seems like the last 8-10 years or so, according to many Argentinos with whom I've conversed, things have gotten worse and worse than they ever were in their memories as far as the lack of respect shown by younger folk.

To me, it comes down to a basic lack of respect for the well-being and property of others and an overwhelming sense of selfishness that allows people to think they have a right to do whatever they want, as well as a lack of consequences for anything they do. It manifests itself in many ways throughout the society, at least here in CABA and its environs, both in the political area and personal.

It is becoming cultural, and not just for protests.

Reactions: ben
Argentine egocentrism ,especially the male version, is well known in all of Latin America
Google : el egocentrismo argentino- for about 5 good examples
One "imagines de 'el egocentrismo argentino ' " is especially illustrative
They are all in Spanish but I imagine there's a software that can translate them into English.

They have done a damn good job of destroying their country, economics and everything else including their global reputation. I have always believed that the majority of Argentinians have no shame they cannot be embarrassed they seem to have no to respect for themselves or anyone or anything else. Many of them damn close to zombies.

Note I said many not all!

Back