Tourists Destroying The Economy!

scotttswan

Registered
http://www.buenosair...market-for-cash

Visitors who spent US$622 million during the second quarter sold only US$342 million through official channels including banks, a 48 percent plunge from a year earlier, according to government data.

Sanctions for illegal currency trading range from a fine of 10 times the transaction if it’s the first time a person is caught to as many as eight years in prison.
DUlNFnS.gif

“We shouldn’t be blaming tourism for the drop in reserves rather government policies,” said Jose Luis Espert, who runs research firm Espert & Asociados in Buenos Aires.

Golpista Gorilla! :lol:

Jaja just imagine getting that fine :p

Times 10 the rate exchanged... the dollars or the pesos? Oh and which currency do you have to the pay the fine with? Oh, and at which rate of exchange???

The amount of dollars at the official rate in pesos?? :p

I'm a little surprised of this article from that site. Except for the quote from Espert it has a tone that is blaming tourists for the decline and giving them the idea that it's dangerous to exchange outside the banks perhaps in an attempt to scare them? As Espert said it's not the tourists fault for this difference in exchange rate nor can the lack of them exchanging at banks be IMO cause of the decline. That's like saying it's my fault that a store is declining in sales for me not shopping at said store. Argentina has to get their shit together and then maybe people will be more willing to invest in their country. But hey what do I know! I had always wondered why they were called arbolitos though! :)

I agree the tone of this article is a little weird, but the following is absurd:

"With the depreciation of the peso lagging annual inflation that economists estimate has run at more than 20 percent for at least four years, Argentina has become more expensive for foreign tourists."

20%? Nice to see the Herald toeing the party line.

There will always be those little old ladies from Wisconsin that cash their dollars at the Bank :D

There will always be those little old ladies from Wisconsin that cash their dollars at the Bank :D

But they're not coming as much because they've "heard about the crime".

This past February (or March) on a rather warm day, we stopped for lunch in Plaza Dorrego. (mid-week)

After witnessing a local man arguing with an artisan lady or her disrespecting him right near our table, I witnessed a homeless man grab a folding chair and try to smash it over the hear if a tourist wearing a newly purchased fedora sitting with two friends at a table right on Defensa.

After those two instance and observing all of the tagging on various buildings, the wife of the couple I was showing around asked:

"Have you ever been kidnapped?"

bitcoins bitcoins bitcoins! The revolution has begun...well it's continuing..help fight against the corrupt banksters and their politician co-conspirators- ;) buy a bitcoin (currently at US$580 per coin) .. Not meaning to change the subject, just adding it in seeing this thread is all about the do$h.

BTW, buying & selling dollars in LaValle or Florida is so easy & risk free now days, you only buy/sell from sellers who are on the mall, in a store/cueva that's clearly in view-on mall (ground level) never go anywhere where you can't see the mall ...nothing to it. I've done it many times. I always ask very bluntly " A cuanto compras/vendes 100?" , then I keep walking, I don't stop..they usually try to follow up with a second offer..I just keep walking till I've done the whole mall, then I go back to the best offer.

I witnessed a homeless man grab a folding chair and try to smash it over the hear if a tourist wearing a newly purchased fedora sitting with two friends at a table right on Defensa.

You really should avoid WWE as part of your tour...

Back