Why do Porteños like queueing so much?

I guess the reason they dont open up more tills at the supermarket is because they dont have more staff on to man them? Cost saving thing.

Or they just go ahead and close the entire store: DSCN3575.jpg

When waiting for the ferry to Colonia, people started queuing up over an hour before boarding. While I sat and enjoyed the leather sofa in the waiting area they stood over an hour to wait for an hour long boat trip. I don't get that anxiety, as if the boat is overbooked and if they don't wait in line for over an hour (longer than the trip itself) they'll get no seat? Worked for me though, I had a nice relaxing wait on the sofas then strolled on to the boat after the line emptied out and took my seat.

I don't think they particularly like it perse, I just don't think that businesses have caught on that if you get people in and out quickly, you might end up with a more efficient business.
I went to Dona Clara to buy easter egg moulds on Friday, turned up at midday and was given a paper ticket (number 93D) - the queue was at 90A (so there were 300 people in front of us!). People just couldn't go in, grab what they wanted, pay for it and get out, they had to stand in this queue and wait to be served by some 1950s business model. I went two doors down and bought what I needed there! I have no idea the amount of times I've marched out of supermarkets (and even just gone without) rather than wait in a 40 minute queue (when 70% of checkouts are usually closed!).

Irina you're right! Works for both airplanes and ferry queues! I'll never get the queuing for a plane one, because they only ever board you in a certain order of rows and you all have numbered seats! We also sit down and take advantage of the seating until we're actually called.
As for peak hour at the supermarket, only ever did it once. Worked out after spending an hour in the queue that if we actually arrived at the supermarket 1 hour later than we had, we would have ended up walking out at the same time!

I have been flying for just over 40 years. It has always and still amazes me that some people start to stand up while the plane is still on it's way to the gate. What gets me more is once at the gate and the seat belt sign is out.. they all jump around, grabbing their things..only to stand in the aisle for the next 5-10 minutes while they open the door. Another 5 of pushing, waiting, trying to get around slower people... Unfortunately most seem to have forgotten the idea of thinking before you act.

Drives me crazy how typical, everyday transactions which would take around 10 minutes or less in the States or most of Europe can totally occupy your entire morning here! I left my flat at 10, had to go to the bank to ask a banker a quick question and had to wait for around 40 minutes (only one banker, only one cajera) to ask a question. Then at the Personal central office, got into another 40 min queue to ask yet another basic question. There went my morning :( Now I can understand why Argys usually take an entire morning (or day) off from work for these "tramites" which in the states I have been known to resolve on a 15 minute break, or (worst case scenario) my lunch hour.

gpop said:
Lines and rubber stamps here.

You wait in a line to get someone to stamp something then they send you to another line to get another stamp, and so on.

That pretty much describes migraciones or getting your DNI.

I don't think there are many argentines queuing at migraciones to get a DNI.

irina said:
When waiting for the ferry to Colonia, people started queuing up over an hour before boarding. While I sat and enjoyed the leather sofa in the waiting area they stood over an hour to wait for an hour long boat trip. I don't get that anxiety, as if the boat is overbooked and if they don't wait in line for over an hour (longer than the trip itself) they'll get no seat? Worked for me though, I had a nice relaxing wait on the sofas then strolled on to the boat after the line emptied out and took my seat.

if you are going via colonia express or seacat it actually makes sense to queue up as there is limited seating and lately they have been jam packed with argies going over to acquire dollars.

As for supermarkets i've spent 10 minutes going round picking up everything i need only to find the queue is suddenly grown stupidly large. I then just dump the trolly in the store and head to a Chinese one to pick up the essentials .

Nahuel said:
I don't think there are many argentines queuing at migraciones to get a DNI.

DNI OR Migrations. :) And Argentines do queue for their DNI... I had the pleasure of accompanying my husband to get his DNI at a shopping mall and it was get there early to queue, stand and wait, get a number (if you didn't get a number, sorry! try again tomorrow), actually start to advance in the line, reach the counter and get an appointment! (for several hours later), kill time, come back and wait in line another 15 minutes until they call your name.

No matter what you're trying to do here you often have to pass by 2 or 3 different desks. :p

AngelinBA said:
Irina you're right! Works for both airplanes and ferry queues! I'll never get the queuing for a plane one, because they only ever board you in a certain order of rows and you all have numbered seats! We also sit down and take advantage of the seating until we're actually called.
As for peak hour at the supermarket, only ever did it once. Worked out after spending an hour in the queue that if we actually arrived at the supermarket 1 hour later than we had, we would have ended up walking out at the same time!

The airplane thing is not only in Argentina. I believe it happens in most intercontinental flights to/from LatinAmerica. My observation is that people fear they won't find enough place for their hand luggage in the overhead compartments. And honestly, in many intercontinental flights is the case these days, not only to LatinAmerica. Many of the passengers to/from LatinAmerica are families with lots of hand/checked luggage.
The boarding of certain rows is just very poorly organised and in my opinion it does not work, in any airport I have visited. Airline personnel are not very consequent with this procedure and only announce the procedure in two languages (usually the local language and English or the language of origin of the airline). Last time I was in Mexico, my Lufthansa flight was full of Polish/White Russian tourists who understood no Spanish, no English, no German. Accordingly they started boarding as soon as the personnel at the gate started announcing something, independently of the rows they had been assigned to. They were not really to be blamed. Airports don't have the proper infrastructure to make this ordered boarding possible.

Back