Why do some threads get locked

The forum is supposed to be useful. When visitors see a thread called "Hanging in there?" they don't expect to see a full-blown discussion of Uruguay Tax Residency program inside.

Sometimes we write to people and beg them to stay on topic, or to learn how to start new threads. Sometimes we split threads and both of them go on.

Threads are locked when conversation turns into something that is not relevant to Argentina, or content does not correspond to the topic name and there is no easy way to amend it.

It is not meant to be a punishment. We are just trying to maintain some structure for convenience of readers and for SEO.

Thanks, good to know, I was wondering myself (and regularly going off-topic as well). However, if I need to find something I just search for it, doesn't matter what thread it's in.

So, all that said, what do you all think about the tax situation in Angola these days??

Ohh no, I guess this thread needs to get locked and deleted now, oops, my bad..

:p

It is fun when a thread takes life on its own and wanders and zig-zags all over the place. Staying on point is the correct thing to do, but it is not half as interesting.

Take pride in your community!

This forum is, in part, where our digital lives are. Our digital community if you will. It really isn't so different from the bricks and mortar communities we actually live in.

Where ever we live, we sometimes observe things going on that we disagree with. It could be a neighbor being loud past daylight hours or an eyesore of a mess in someone's yard, or perhaps the neighbors house in in disrepair. These few examples (There are many more possibilities.) take away from the quality of our lives, cause stress and reduce our property values.

We just got a gift, in the form of information from Administration telling us how our community works and what is expected of us. I know it would be best, if the operator of this service were to create an information page, outline the do's and don'ts here, but for some reason, it simply does not exist. So, we are left to muddle through using nothing but common sense.

Either way, I am happy to have some clarity on a topic that I have wondered about. And, I am all for falling into line, to make this place as good as it can be. I definitely want to take pride in my community. I like it here and I want it to be pleasant.

Hopefully you all agree. Because if you do, we can concentrate on communicating and sharing instead of non productive behavior.

@admin Two thoughts.

Nothing shouts "off topic" more loudly than starting a thread in the wrong forum in the first place. When this happens, would it be possible for you move them?

Most on-line communities have a place for chit-chat where threads can wander where they like. On Britishexpats I think they call it "The Pub." Maybe we could have somewhere like that here?

Ta muchly in advance!

Back