Why do you live in Argentina?

I asked a simple question " Why do you live in Argentina?" All I read is negitive back biteing. I'll be in BsAs for three months. I think that should be long enough. I'm afraid I'll turn out to be a bitter SOB. I've been to Chile before, I think that will be my next stop. I think Chilians are more civil.

"rmartinbuenosaires" said:
+Elpanada- Fortunately you dissapeared for awhile and I thought we were rid of you and your comments. Well, you'rrrrreeee bbbbaaaackkk!

33 Posts, and you were never here to begin with....

donquixote,
You ARE getting answers. They just aren't what you want to hear.
What you're getting is the truth by many of the people who have actually experienced life in Argentina as a foreign person. You're also getting the typical Argentine reactions and attitudes that you'll encounter on a regular basis. Plus a hint about how the government works and the actual cost of living. It's not cheap or easy.
My advice for you is to come and visit, enjoy the sights and then leave. There are better places in the world to spend your time and money. Even these crazy Argentine posters would agree with that.
They do not want you here. There are better places to spend your time and money.
Why would you want to live in Argentina?

I beleive people are being harsh on Argentina . There are some excellent reasons why people live here and the truth is in the numbers . Buenos Aires has more expatriates than any other city in Latin America.
Its a fabulous city if you have a lot of money .Certainly it is not cheap, in many ways its dearer than most North American cities . This myth about cheapness and the model and 5 star lifestlye on beer budget has been perpetuated by a few biased New York Reporters. I can tell you that I find many products here outrageously expensive and there is a acceptance here for high inflation which I find strange.
Overall I have a very positive feeling for the future of Argentina as I beleive that a lot of problems that we are facing now will be ironed out in the near future. I am a supporter of Christina Kirchner and feel she will make the necessary changes to propel Argentina into the first world. Many changes are currently happening in Capital Federal to influence the inherent culture formed over generations.
I do see that the problems of litter, traffic control, crime , and a myriad of other issues will greatly improve in the next years.
When you decide to move to another country you must make a long term commitment and accept that some things you cannot change .
Yes be proactive and form neighbourhood groups to improve issues that affect you thats your right as free citizens . A positive force can achieve change.

"rmartinbuenosaires" said:
Lastly, just to make the natives happy, whenever they ask you where you are from, simply reply, "Soy un Porteno!" They love that kind of stupid stuff....
Disfrutar Todos
I useally say I am from Chaco, Corientes, Formosa or Santiago del Estero.

quote jicassochica:
"Auntieapple, I booked you a place where the luggage goes"
thats obviously because you dont know where is does, darling!
and
"Sergio, I am here where I want to be. I would either have to be an idiot to continue to live in a place which I dislike or be making money"
to that I say "horses for courses"
Quote Elpanada:
"Most of these people are not really expats, they're more like wanderers or tourists. Anyone in a foreign country and glad to be there would call himself an immigrant, not an expat."
UR UMMMMMMM what has being glad to be in a country got to do with immigration? actually if you read the whole phrase its just a load of gobbledegook. Let me help you out sweetie,
and to VMSMITH who is also higly informed
"That's a really good point that ought to be pointed out more often. Thanks".
dont thank him vmsmith as he is misleading you;
Immigrant ------------
  1. A person who leaves one country to settle permanently in another.
NOUN: Expatriate
(-
ibreve.gif
t, -
amacr.gif
t
lprime.gif
)
  1. One who has taken up residence in a foreign country.
why did you assume that we all intend to live here indefinately?
Also just to fill in Tatanbsas the finer usage of latin and where it is best applied and proof of its misinterpretation and misuse
"Bill/RealBA, Argentina will not miss you either. Thanks for leaving.
Sergio/Auntieapple, I reserved plane tickets for both of you.
Tatan"
SNOB= Tatanbsas and other vulgarians
S=sans NOB= nobilite* sans nobilite*= without nobility = vulgarian!
*can not apply accent with this keyboard
regards

I am here where I want to be. I would either have to be an idiot to continue to live in a place which I dislike or be making money.
jicassochica, your first tourist visa is running out and you're thinking of applying for residence. So... you've been here for 3 months and you're making money without a DNI? I can see why you're so happy. No doubt your residence application will be processed quickly and without complication. Just keep that positive attitude!!
Its a fabulous city if you have a lot of money.
So true and I've said this myself. When you try to live like a local on 1200 pesos a month... maybe not so fabulous.

just for the record....my computer was hijacked by Tatan, so pls strike those comments from the record, for they were not my words.

Back