Why expats doesnt like get in love or get an argie partner?

I'm married to a local who has 3 brother and 4 sisters, all around my age. And I am good friends with all of them. This has enabled me to have a hugh network of locals as friends. Also, I met my best friend in BA at work. He's also a local.

Napoleon said:
In Los Angeles, I knew people in the "soccer community" who were English, French, South American, and other. Even though English wasn't everyone's native language, it seemed that the foreign born people tended to spend more time with each other than with people born in the USA.

Sooooooo true. It's a two-way street.

Brigadier said:
the question its simple: why you all never like to be involucrated with the locals?...
Expats girls or boys never like to meet with people from here. Whats the reason?: fear?, supremacy feeling? ... or what ?
Any answer its taked..

I´m half way in agreement, half way not with your statement. One one hand, I have a very loving Argentine partner and one of the best Argentine friends you could find.. although.. My boyfriend is from Cordoba and my best friend is from Salta.

I would say that it is difficult to be friends with people from Capital. I play soccer with a group of girls 3x a week, all but one are porteñas and I find that while my Spanish is extremely good (work is 80% in spanish and my boyfriend still hasn´t learned spanish) my friends still try to make me the butt of most jokes. They´ll say for example, "habla bien laura" o "no entiendo porque estas hablando tan yankee hoy." And then they proceed to pick apart my every word. What´s even more ridiculous is that their english is TERRIBLE. To me, it just come across extremely catty.

Things like that really make it difficult to become good friends with Argentines (atleast Porteñas). I find that when I want to go out to dinner and really chat, I call my expat (and salta) friends because there´s just a cultural understanding that we have. Whether you´re American, Aussie, or Irish, there are still certain characteristics of Anglo-saxton life that we all just understand. But it´s certainly not a superiority complex or fear.

jayjane said:
sometimes there is nothing like being around the type of humor you grew up with.

Or people who actually get your references to Clueless, The Princess Bride, Seinfeld, and Jessi Spano's caffeine-pill freakout.

Brigadier said:
the question its simple: why you all never like to be involucrated with the locals?...
Expats girls or boys never like to meet with people from here. Whats the reason?: fear?, supremacy feeling? ... or what ?
Any answer its taked..
Read through a ton of old threads, or use the search function, and you'll find that your notion is wrong.

Personally I had three dozen Argentino amigos and amigas within a year, but find Chilena girls more accesible than the local chicas who often have what seems to be a victorian view - there are exceptions, but few.

It seems as if in Argentina the chicas know what they want but not how to get it, while in Chile the chicas know what they want and also how to get it - aiming precisely on target.

Hehe... you know.... You're taked a interesting point, cuz im totally agree with all that you said about the local girls... its a complex that averyone of them haves. I dont know what it is exactly... but its true that they allwise make hard the things. Maby they all feels like divas, or be afraid about the relationships, or afraid to be pointed like easy girls. I dont know, I just know that foreigner girls are more accesible and No one of them died for this matter...

Brigadier said:
Hehe... you know.... You're taked a interesting point, cuz im totally agree with all that you said about the local girls... its a complex that averyone of them haves. I dont know what it is exactly... but its true that they allwise make hard the things. Maby they all feels like divas, or be afraid about the relationships, or afraid to be pointed like easy girls. I dont know, I just know that foreigner girls are more accesible and No one of them died for this matter...

I might have died (prematurely) if I continued to date an "argie" girl.

Ironically, I spoke with her for the first time five years ago tonight!

I stopped seeing her (literally fled in terror) the third time she was violent and drew blood.

(I have a rare blood type and could not take the risk of needing a transfusion.)

And I didn't need the drama.

steveinbsas said:
I might have died (prematurely) if I continued to date an "argie" girl.

I stopped seeing her (literally fled in terror) the third time she was violent and drew blood.

And I didn't need the drama.

No offense, Steve, but that sounds more like trauma than drama.
Congrats on your survival skills :)

Brigadier said:
A Mendocino friend of mine puts it this way: "They all think they are queens", which is exactly the same notion as yours - diva, queen, primadonna :cool:

Back