Why is it so important to have a round trip tix?

TX_Traveler

Registered
I am moving to South America, Argentina being my home base in a month but I haven't bought my ticket yet. Why is it so important to buy a round trip ticket in and out of the country? I am not sure how long and if am going to stay in Argentina. My plan is to purchase my ticket in the next couple of days with my frequent flyer miles and when I get ready I will purchase my return ticket with more miles. Can anybody help?

I've read several different takes on this issue, as well as experienced it myself. What I've come to find is 1) it is a pretty bogus ploy of airlines to try and get you to pay for a roundtrip ticket, and 2) every situation is a little different so it's hard to come up with a definitive answer.

I along with my roommate down here flew in from the States with one-way tickets. He had zero problems, I was told I could not board the plane until I had a return ticket, that it was the policy of the Argentine government, and there was absolutely no chance of me getting on the plane if I didn't. The ticket agent lady was borderline rude telling me about how she has been in this business for 20 years, and yadayadayada. This was also on an airline (Mexicana) that could not find our reservation in there computer.

What ended up happening is we had to call customer service and they told the crazy lady how to do her job, and lo and behold did we have to pay for a return flight? Not at all.

I've also had other friends not have a problem. Furthermore, no one that I know has ever been asked to show proof of a return flight upon arrival in Argentina.

I would try to call the airline out. Talk to their customer service department. I bet you will not have to. If you do, the crazy ticketing lady said that I could buy one and then just cancel for a refund upon arrival here.

Hope this helps.

PS - where are you coming from in Texas? I'm from Austin. There are a small handful of us here that I have found.

It seems that it is an airline policy, not an Argentine policy. I was just in Canada in July, my first time flying with Air Canada down here. When I got to the airport in Toronto they weren't going to let me on the plane until I remembered that there should have been a flight in my name for September in the system. She looked it up and was happy enough. Now I'm wondering what will happen in September since I'm flying with them again...

Technically speaking, if you are entering on a 90-day tourist visa (which is how most of us enter the country), the migration authorities at the airport have the right to ask to see your return ticket-- which means that return ticket has to be within 90 days on your entry. The reason the airlines have this rule is to comply with the migration rule.

Now, I've never heard of anyone being asked to present their return ticket when going through migration at the airport. It's technically possible, though.

~ J

I heard a rumor on the internet, that the Airlines have to eat the cost, if a passenger gets turned around with a one way ticket.

That is probably why they are so hyper-vigilant. If it is true.

I flew with a one way ticket flying Air Canada and had no problems with either the airline or with authorities here.

TX_Traveler said:
I am moving to South America, Argentina being my home base in a month but I haven't bought my ticket yet. Why is it so important to buy a round trip ticket in and out of the country? I am not sure how long and if am going to stay in Argentina. My plan is to purchase my ticket in the next couple of days with my frequent flyer miles and when I get ready I will purchase my return ticket with more miles. Can anybody help?
In case of problems you simply tell them that you are on a trip through South America, leaving Argentina by bus to Chile, and from there to Peru and further on to - you are not sure about your route.

The Argentine authorities couldn't care less, I have arrived in EZE 8 or 9 times without showing a return ticket, but you must write a flight number in your visa application - very simple, add 1 to your incoming flight number (e.g. TA3217 + 1 = TA 3218) and write that, as the return flight no. is always either +1 or -1.

I've never even seen the field for the return flight number on the papers here! I've come in and out well over 20 times and I've never even been asked to put my bag through the xray, let alone have anyone ask me for papers etc. My problems have always been on the Canadian end of things! I've had to present my tax return to them before in order to show that I am still paying taxes there. Now I just go through "Visitors" in Canada (despite still being a resident for tax purposes) and it's much less hassle.

The reason airlines don't like to take passengers without a return ticket is because until you have passed immigration you are still the airlines responsibility, and if you are refused entry into the country they have to return you to the country of departure.

This is also why they make sure you have the correct visa's etc for the country you are going to.
If you have ever been to zurich on a swiss flight from sao paulo, they actually have boarder control/police at the door of the plane checking passports. If you are from a western country they just let you through, but if you are from brazil, or some other south america country they ask lots questions.

I usually have a return ticket, but open for a year, which is usually as cheap or sometimes cheaper than a one-way. The exception to this is when flying with cheap/budget airlines, where the return is twice the price of the one-way so makes no difference.

Back