Why Not To Buy Local!

Farenheit

Registered
I know the quality of locally mass-produced toys isn't great, but I balked at the price of the Lego here, 4 or 5 times the normal price, and bought my son the Argentine version (not cheap, cost the same as UK price).
I hoped it might last a few months at least, since my childhood Lego has lasted decades.
Boy was I wrong. The first bricks started to shatter after only a couple of days!

I know the quality of locally mass-produced toys isn't great, but I balked at the price of the Lego here, 4 or 5 times the normal price, and bought my son the Argentine version (not cheap, cost the same as UK price).
I hoped it might last a few months at least, since my childhood Lego has lasted decades.
Boy was I wrong. The first bricks started to shatter after only a couple of days!

The products manufactured here are usually horrible quality and are still expensive. In Argentina the phrase, "Lo barato sale caro" is popular, because it is absolutely true in this country on almost all counts. It's almost always better to pay more when you can for the better quality, and always be suspicious of good deals.

Very true! When we moved we stuffed ziplocks of Legos for my boys in every available nook and cranny of our luggage and carry-ons. One of the best decisions we made because they entertain for hours:) Grandparents bought them Beyblades from the US last week (about $8-10 each at Target) and they wanted to look for more - found them in a store at the mall for 414 pesos each - I think we figured that to be about $52 USD (at the blue rate)!

The products manufactured here are usually horrible quality and are still expensive. In Argentina the phrase, "Lo barato sale caro" is popular, because it is absolutely true in this country on almost all counts. It's almost always better to pay more when you can for the better quality, and always be suspicious of good deals.

But locally manufactured items more than compensate by being "nacional y popular!"

I wonder how these companies survive making inferior products at ever increasing prices. We definitely are paying Macy's prices for Dollar store quality.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18rg36lvr94k2jpg/ku-medium.jpg

Wonder how much this would cost here?

I wonder how these companies survive making inferior products at ever increasing prices. We definitely are paying Macy's prices for Dollar store quality.

Easily - the consumer has no other option to buy. Hence no impetus for local companies to improve quality/cut costs b/c you know..no competition.

Another great option would be to go the Walmart path: outsource our trinket manufacture to Bangladesh where 13 year olds can do it for $13 a month, and go back to the 25% unemployment of the 90s.

What is the opinion of stuff assembled in Tierra del Fuego?
Touching wood here, but we've bought a fair bit made down there including TV's, monitors, numerous mobiles and aircon units over about the last 7 to 8 years and it's all still functioning as it should.
My limited knowledge tells me that goods are assembled with imported components (Korea. China etc).

Another great option would be to go the Walmart path: outsource our trinket manufacture to Bangladesh where 13 year olds can do it for $13 a month, and go back to the 25% unemployment of the 90s.

So you think there's no middle ground?

The choice is horribly inferior products at high prices or 25% unemployment?

How does the rest of the world manage to avoid this dilemma?

Back