Why Pay Rent?

The only reason to pay rent on an Argentine rental contract is to avoid getting your guarantor into trouble. There is literally no other negative effect if you don't pay. Evictions will take longer than the 2-year rental period and if there are small children involved it is probably impossible to get evicted. That's why landlords should insist on rock-solid guarantees by someone who is solvent and a close relation to the tenant.

On my rental contract, for example, it says I have to pay ABL. The city government then started to collect the impuesto inmobilario on the ABL bill as a new line item. Before this was paid for by landlords on a separate bill. So my landlord says I should pay this tax even though there is nothing in the rental contract that specifies that I am responsible for it.

However, since my guarantor is a close personal friend of mine I just pay the tax because I don't want him to get a phone call from my landlord about this issue. Even though I am in the right I don't want to get my guarantor involved in a dispute with my landlord.

That's the power of a good guarantee. The landlord can always ensure he'll get paid because non-payment will cause friction between the guarantor and the tenant.

As always el_expatriado, you have a very clear way of describing things. Nice!

McKenna Sir, your look is no less scary in your profile pic than any granny on the planet!

Perhaps even scarier when collecting past due rent.
emo32.gif

sam_elliott.jpg

Source: https://ar.images.se...D&hsimp=yhs-002

Playing that game is the status quo here. You see it in all areas of life here. I have clients 6+ months in arrears on the board for their horses. Meanwhile guess who has to put their hands in their wallet to feed their horses every day? Us. Not all of our Argentine clients are like that but those that pay on time are by far the minority. As in I can think of one or two over the last 6+ years. Why? Because when they pay me the monies due in 6 months, it costs them 10or 15% less when you factor in inflation. Which is absolute BS because I"m spending the money today. These same clients that don't pay have tons of money. It is absolutely infuriating.

In response to the original question - I paid the rent on time b/c I agreed to it when I signed the contract. And my word and my name mean something to me.
Playing that game is the status quo here. You see it in all areas of life here. I have clients 6+ months in arrears on the board for their horses. Meanwhile guess who has to put their hands in their wallet to feed their horses every day? Us. Not all of our Argentine clients are like that but those that pay on time are by far the minority. As in I can think of one or two over the last 6+ years. Why? Because when they pay me the monies due in 6 months, it costs them 10or 15% less when you factor in inflation. Which is absolute BS because I"m spending the money today. These same clients that don't pay have tons of money. It is absolutely infuriating.

In response to the original question - I paid the rent on time b/c I agreed to it when I signed the contract. And my word and my name mean something to me.
Tenants who have horses can likely afford to pay the rent - just as my deadbeat tenants who wintered in Malaga could have.

Tenants who have horses can likely afford to pay the rent - just as my deadbeat tenants who wintered in Malaga could have.

Italian mafia? horses? Need to 'encourage' your tenant to pay up? I think you have the inspiration you seek. Time to leave a little message...

The only reason to pay rent on an Argentine rental contract is to avoid getting your guarantor into trouble. There is literally no other negative effect if you don't pay.

So, what if the guarantor is just as lazy and non-paying? They must be friends or related with the tenant for some reason? Does having a guarantor make the collecting and evicting any easier?

Back