Why Pay Rent?

By making it easy for tenants to default on rent, the laws make it harder for legitimate tenants
to find a property to rent.

You are dead on right. If people were evicted in the same way I have witnessed in the US, landlords would not ask for guarantors, etc. Just a security deposit and a signature.

In Asian countries, if tenants do not pay rent, after a month, tenants stuff will be tossed on the street. In Korea, the deposit can be a few hundred thousand dollars, enough to buy a house. It's a big trust for someone to let you use/lease their house.

I have witnessed evictions twice in California. It takes about 3 months for the court to post a notice by the door, then sheriff put a note too, saying: " I will come by on Wednesday to evict you." On Wednesday, landlord got the locksmith waiting by the door, then police came with guns in their hands(ghetto area). The door was unlocked and the tenant already took off 2 days ago, he did not want to face the police. On another case, when the police showed up, the whole family were inside the house. Police asked everyone to step outside of the house, stand by the curb, locksmith changed the lock. Police told the tenants " now you are out, if you try to come in again, it will be trespassing. Arrange a time with your landlord to pick up your things". That's it, tenants have all their things in the house. If they try to break the door and go inside, police of different dept will come to treat it as a robbery/break in.

I once witnessed an eviction in SF, CA where a huge truck showed up, two men opened the apartment's door, and I saw all kinds of stuff flying down the window: mattress, clothes, chairs, food, etc. After 20 minutes truck left. Property vacated. It was awesome! :D

A San Telmo eviction
Now that we are talking about witnessing evictions.I,together with a crowd of neighbors.witnessed an eviction on Calle Brasil between Defensa y Bolivar last year.I don't know how long that it had taken to get the court process but the eviction itself was rather quick.The neighbors told me that the "infactores" were Peruvians.The police pulled up.Those being evicted had all their belongings out on the sidewalk which were piled into a truck and a van and all then sped swiftly away.
I was told that the infractores were taken to a hotel or pension to live at public expense.I suppose that was part of Cristina's boast of social inclusion.

My ex-girlfriend's father was a cop making good money from his sideline of evicting tenants in Cap Fed. One knock at the door with a warning and they generally left within days. Or so he liked to boast.

Did anybody here recently prepare a contract for renters? I hear conflicting stories about the legal issues with regards to inflation. I have seen contracts that include a 15% raise for every 6 months, others say it is not legal. Also minimum time here is mentioned as 2 years (unless canceled mutually).

Also: what are the costs for setting up a contract whcih includes a guarantor?
Cheers

What about using Airbnb? Rent not might be coming in every month but at least you can select tenants with good comments.

What about using Airbnb? Rent not might be coming in every month but at least you can select tenants with good comments.

One of my Argie friend ( well educated and lived half his life in New Zealand)..buys apartments worth 30 k or 40 K usd in lower middle class neighborhoods and rents to the lower strata of the society and he tells me, he never had a problem with rents. He owns 5-6 such apartments

One of my Argie friend ( well educated and lived half his life in New Zealand)..buys apartments worth 30 k or 40 K usd in lower middle class neighborhoods and rents to the lower strata of the society and he tells me, he never had a problem with rents. He owns 5-6 such apartments
I have read about this strategy and they say usually the ROI is better too.

And if you think about it, it is a very smart business model, considering that you split your investment in multiple properties, if one tenant stops paying or does not vacate, you still keep your business running with the rest as you solve the problem.

Back