Why would anyone come to this country in this century?

So there is a decline in the quality of immigrants because they retain their homeland customs and, therefore, don't propel their new country forward? I'm wondering if this is universally applied or just for the specific case of Argentina.

Also, I think Emilia has exited the building....I see no activity.
I think there is a big difference between being plugged into the economic system of the country you came from- ie, working remote, or collecting pension checks or rent checks from another country,
and
retaining homeland customs.
well over 50% of Argentines are of Italian descent, and retain homeland customs, like, say, pizza, pasta, and wine- but are not economically connected to Italy.
Many of the Argentine people descended from immigrants who came between 1900 and 1960 still have dual citizenship, and Italian or Spanish passports, for example.

not sure whether either type of immigrant can be judged on "quality".
I mean, its true, that a lot of the Italians who came in 1900 were skilled masons, carpenters, blacksmiths, stained glass artists, tailors, and the like, whereas many recent euro and US immigrants know how to use an iphone and a laptop, and not much else...

I mean, its true, that a lot of the Italians who came in 1900 were skilled masons, carpenters, blacksmiths, stained glass artists, tailors, and the like, whereas many recent euro and US immigrants know how to use an iphone and a laptop, and not much else...

And Western Union.

Well over 50% of Argentines are of Italian descent, and retain homeland customs, like, say, pizza, pasta, and wine- but are not economically connected to Italy.
Many of the Argentine people descended from immigrants who came between 1900 and 1960 still have dual citizenship, and Italian or Spanish passports, for example.

In Argentina many thousands of, Italian passport holders of Italian Descent, collect a retirement pension (SSA) from Italy.
Also Italians Al Estero in Argentina elect representatives to the Italian Parliament.

In Argentina many thousands of, Italian passport holders of Italian Descent, collect a retirement pension (SSA) from Italy.
Also Italians Al Estero in Argentina elect representatives to the Italian Parliament.
Great. that means no recession, right? Out of 40 million Argentines, I do wonder how many "many thousands" are, however.
Also, the post I was responding to seemed to infer that these Italian passport holders were somehow of lower quality than previous immigrants, you know, those Italian immigrants of the 20th century who completely discarded their Italian customs- but wait! these are the same people who have the Italian passports.
I am thoroughly confused now.

Are the earlier immigrants still the good guys, if they act the same as the newer immigrants?
or are immigrants who bring money ok, its just the ones who come here and get jobs who are bad?

I am personally in favor of open immigration globally, with some restrictions based on criminal records and health exams.
I think immigrants both forced and voluntary, made both North and South America what they are today, (not to diminish the cultures of the original inhabitants, who were mostly exterminated by the immigrants)

We need to play the cards we have now, which means expats, immigrants, mapuche and gurani, and everybody who is here now.

Why would anyone come to this country in this century?

To a country where food production vastly exceeds the population's ability to consume it?

Given what's happening in other countries now, my answer is to eat meat, especially beef, in a country where the people will not easily let go of their beef eating culture....

...ia country in which there is no war on food production and it is still legal to have your own chickens and goats and a few hogs if you want (if you already have or can buy a small piece of land where this, as well as growing your own food, is still possible),

...at least until the war on food comes here.

Back