Why would anyone come to this country in this century?

Emilia Hertz

Registered
First of all, I'm not an expat, but I found this forum accidentally and was amazed that people from first world countries come here, so I wanted to know why the hell would someone come to this country during this century, I would understand it 100 years ago but now? I say this as someone who is deseperately trying to find a way to escape this awful place and migrate to Europe (which is extremely hard since I'm not being able to find my Italian and German ancestor documents to get any of these citizenships)

Often Argentina's problems are only known once you live in Argentina. When people come as a tourist they may only see parts of the country that they like and they only see the problems later. Sometimes they already have an Argentine family by then, which complicates leaving the country.

Why do you choose Argentina?

This same question and point of view were put in the above thread, nearly a year ago.

Despite its problems and continual decline, Argentina still retains some characteristics that appeal to people from countries with advanced economies. And not all that glitters in those countries is gold.

That can be difficult for Argentines to understand.

I say this as someone who is deseperately trying to find a way to escape this awful place and migrate to Europe (which is extremely hard since I'm not being able to find my Italian and German ancestor documents to get any of these citizenships)
If you are so desperate, and it is so hard, you could very easily escape to another MERCOSUR (or MERCOSUR-affiliated) country...

Perhaps Argentina isn't so awful, after all.

I agree with BeraRane. If you earn in $USD, you can live really well here. I have a family with two small kids. We can have an empleada which gives me more time to spend with my kids. We also have access to a country club have weekend activities. Living here is very economical for somebody with an expat salary, but it is NOT free. If the government closes schools again, I'm out of here.

If you have either a well paying STEM job in pesos or are able to work remote in dollars/euro/etc. you can have a better quality of life here than in most developed countries.

Have you thought about looking for remote work instead of leaving? Also, if you want to leave, you better have thousands saved because it ain't cheap up North in Europe...

I run a comparative Excel spreadsheet for favorable destinations, the variables considered are:

1. Language
  2. Cultural Environment
  3. Cosmopolitan City
  4. Ethnic composition
  5. Cost of living
  6. Weather
  7. Digital Communications
  8. Accessibility
I give a punctuation for each variable. Buenos Aires for me is a 10 in most variables. Comparing with Bulgaria, Portugal, Bolivia or Thailand.

Back