Wifi Network Expert Needed

TomAtAlki

Registered
I am having continuing trouble with my wifi network and would like to hire someone to make it work.

I have all apple parts (except speakers). Apple computer receives wifi from Fibretel and that part is working. I have a time machine router hooked to the fibretel modem. I have 2 sets of speakers hooked to 2 airport express's. That's where it breaks down. The music plays through the speakers for a while and then starts cutting out, coming back, cutting out. Meanwhile the music plays continuously through the computer speaker so I assume it's in the Apple Express's.

Thanks for any help finding someone or any suggestions.

T/

Pretty basic, I know, but I always start with verifying and repairing permissions followed by a restart.

Not familiar with the Express model, but possible to restore/rebuild software?

Are the airport express routers wired or wireless. I have a similar set up

Tom, I don't know either the Apple router, nor which speakers your are using, but I'd try to start looking at which device/route fails:
- You mentioned you have problems with the wifi speakers playing continuously music, while the notebook continues to play it flawlessly. What's the source of the music? Your macbook or from the web?
- Do you have an indicator on the speakers for the connection to see if they get disconnected (and thus cause the breaks in playing)?
- Can you look into the router's log (to see if the speakers disconnect or whether other error messages exist)?
- Did you try to place the speaker really close to the router in order to minimize any wifi inference?
- If the speaker provides a service to ping him, can you run continuous pings and see if all arrive w/o significant delay/packet losses?

Pretty basic, I know, but I always start with verifying and repairing permissions followed by a restart.

Not familiar with the Express model, but possible to restore/rebuild software?
Thanks for the suggestion. This has been going on for some time (years) and I have repaired permissions, restarted and zapped the p-ram many times.

The Apple Airport express has been around many years for doing wireless to speakers. I don't know about updating the Apple express but good idea. I'll look into that.

Are the airport express routers wired or wireless. I have a similar set up
The airport express is wireless to the speakers and then attached to the speakers with a wire. The speakers are plugged into the wall.

Tom, I don't know either the Apple router, nor which speakers your are using, but I'd try to start looking at which device/route fails:
- You mentioned you have problems with the wifi speakers playing continuously music, while the notebook continues to play it flawlessly. What's the source of the music? Your macbook or from the web?
- Do you have an indicator on the speakers for the connection to see if they get disconnected (and thus cause the breaks in playing)?
- Can you look into the router's log (to see if the speakers disconnect or whether other error messages exist)?
- Did you try to place the speaker really close to the router in order to minimize any wifi inference?
- If the speaker provides a service to ping him, can you run continuous pings and see if all arrive w/o significant delay/packet losses?
-Source of music is the web. My wifi to the internet is pretty good and only goes out occasionally.
-No indicator on the speakers but I would be very surprised if it were the speakers that keep cutting out.
-Afraid router log and error messages are beyond me.
-Does the music go from my Mac to the airport express or from my Mac to the router to the airport express? I'll move my Mac to the router and see if that helps. Good suggestion!
_No pinging that I know of.

Is there a lot of traffic on your wifi channel? Do you need the expresses to work as routers or just AirPlay recievers. If the latter, disable the wifi network from them and just use the time machine.

I could never figure out - how to connect time machine to fibretel router. If I do that either the time machine works or the router works..BOTH dont

Back