Will Cepo come back?

gostomper

Registered
If I come back to Argentina in 3 months should I bring 100 dollar bills? I'll be the first to say that using my 0 fee US debit card at stores in BA with it being basically the same as cuevas is so much better. And I know you all are just as lazy as me. Could you all give some insight into what the political situation is looking like regarding cepo? I'm tired of trying to follow Argentine politics and I just want to know what the forecast will be for the money aspect of things.

Macri already brought the CEPO back. The question is how will it change, if at all, under the new government.
Many more places accept cards now than ever before, so you can certainly use it more.
But the constant economic uncertainty means, if you are comfortable transporting them and holding them, US $100s give you far more flexibility and the ability to take advantage of ever changing exchange rates.
Plus, many sellers will give discounts for US cash.

Fernandez has indicated that the CEPO will stay...longer and that there may be several dollars , for imports, exports, tourism, etc?

BajoCero indicated that Fernandez wants the limit at 2k a month, so it should relax once Fernandez is in power.

you are right- we have absolutely zero proof of anything that will happen after Dec 10.
The only thing we have proof of is that Macri reimposed the CEPO, at lower dollar amounts than K had 4 years ago.

Certainly, to answer the OP- nobody knows.
Nobody here, certainly, has anything but wild speculation, all over the spectrum, on what will or will not happen.

best bet- bring dollars.

Fernandez briefly addresses the cepo in this recent press conference in Mexico:

He gives a politician's answer. But if you read between the lines, some sort of cepo is quite likely to continue.

IMO Macri did him a HUGE favor by putting the cepo in place so that he didn't have to.

IMO Macri did him a HUGE favor by putting the cepo in place so that he didn't have to.

Agreed. A cepo really needed to be placed due to the low foreign currency reserves, but it's the kind of move that would be a bad look for any politician. I bet there's a good chance we would've gotten a second round if Macri hadn't done it.

Last edited:
Back