Will the Border be closed for the rest of the year?

One more hope dashed.

I still have hopes for Uruguay, though. Buquebus' owner Lopez Mena has enormous political influence on both sides of the river - with the borders closed he must be hemorrhaging money.

One more hope dashed.

I still have hopes for Uruguay, though. Buquebus' owner Lopez Mena has enormous political influence on both sides of the river - with the borders closed he must be hemorrhaging money.
Well sometimes"they" close the Bridge and you make a mint ..!! sometimes they close the borders and you go broke...!

Well sometimes"they" close the Bridge and you make a mint ..!! sometimes they close the borders and you go broke...!
Rumor in Uruguay has it that Lopez Mena financed the Arroyo Verde pickets keeping the bridge closed. One of my neighbors went to take a look, and saw a well-dressed man handing out money to the picketers. A very profiteble investment.

For the uninitiated, why?

It started when local Argentine environmentalists blockaded the international bridge as a protest against a polluting pulp mill being set up across the river, in Uruguay.

When they ran out of money and lost steam, Buquebus owner Lopez Mena bankrolled them to make sure that the best bridge connecting Buenos Aires with Uruguay remained closed. People had to drive six more hours to the next bridge, or take his ferries. Service went from three ferries a day to eight. He made so much money during the two-year blockade that he bought his own little airline.

Last edited:
I expect there will be some way to get here. You may need to fly to Santiago (a hub, Buenos Aires is not so much) and take a bus. Buses will definitely be restored before planes. But you should wait until closer to the date.

I expect there will be some way to get here. You may need to fly to Santiago (a hub, Buenos Aires is not so much) and take a bus. Buses will definitely be restored before planes. But you should wait until closer to the date.
I plan to drive - it's only five hours door-to-door. Plus another hour clearing emigration, immigration, customs, animal control, etc.. So much for Mercosur....!

The decree that closed airports is until September.
However, the usd skyrocketed 100% in a few months. I don't think that this jobs salary is going to be the same in usd.
I'm sure I just read the decree has extended the closed airports to December 1.

I read that Aeroparque was closed to international flights until December. Nothing about Ezeiza.

Back