Will the Border be closed for the rest of the year?

14 May 2020
Plane tickets. Government will review sales ban and could reactivate sooner

No. That is not what it says. It is about allowing selling tickets earlier to fill flights for "later on", not operating flights earlier.

The only flights that are likely to resume operating earlier will be Cabotaje. There is talk of allowing 1-2 dailies per province. No one in the government is talking about international flights yet, instead they are already starting to make concessions in labour agreements to affected aeronautical businesses for the coming months based on a "total absence of international flights".

http://www.siscoma.com.ar/online/av...eguntas-200514/avn-cincopreguntas-200514.html

No. That is not what it says. It is about allowing selling tickets earlier to fill flights for "later on", not operating flights earlier.

The only flights that are likely to resume operating earlier will be Cabotaje. There is talk of allowing 1-2 dailies per province. No one in the government is talking about international flights yet, instead they are already starting to make concessions in labour agreements to affected aeronautical businesses for the coming months based on a "total absence of international flights".

http://www.siscoma.com.ar/online/av...eguntas-200514/avn-cincopreguntas-200514.html

yes it says exactly that, possibly/might be allowed in July. Your statement makes no sense even now they are allowed to sell tickets beyond 1 September, no one is stopping airlines from doing that. They cannot sell flights operating before September. Despite this news I m still doubtful we will see internaronal flights before August/September. Hopefully some domestic in July.

yes it says exactly that, possibly/might be allowed in July. Your statement makes no sense even now they are allowed to sell tickets beyond 1 September, no one is stopping airlines from doing that. They cannot sell flights operating before September. Despite this news I m still doubtful we will see internaronal flights before August/September. Hopefully some domestic in July.
ANAC did not ban flights from operating, they banned selling flights supposed to operate before 01SEP.
The situation today is that airlines cannot sell tickets for flights departing before 01SEP, they can sell flights today for flights departing after 01SEP. Note that currently no flight is authorised to depart before OR after 01SEP due to the DNU. Now they are saying they are considering letting airlines sell tickets for flights departing before 01SEP, even if they are not currently authorised to operate. Meaning buyer beware. The justification they give is that they expect the stranded Argentines to be home or be sorted out by then which is the main reason they claimed to have implemented the ban on sales. The link I posted was the transcript of the interview with ANAC today.

Is Argentine aviation really so complicated? Oh that is just the tip of the iceberg...

Last edited:
Yeah, but there are a ton of seats already sold on flights pre-Sept 1. I am the proud owner of a few of them.

If Argentina opens to international flights earlier, then the airlines, both Aerolineas and foreign competitors, can start earning that revenue. Rather than having to give it back when flights are cancelled.

This was the “concern” of the government that lead to this decision - especially as a lot of stranded people were buying these tickets and burning through all their money in a naïve hope of getting home making them homeless in Cancun in meantime.

I would be interested to know how long it took / takes to get your money back if you will seek a refund. The main gripe of IATA and the airlines is that by not allowing airlines to sell tickets, it deprives them of making revenue that they use for working capital, even if the need to give it back in some month. The main concern was not about the operation of flights as all understand that only the health situation will affect that.

If you are given a voucher or credit for travel at a later date instead of a rebooking, be careful. There is no guarantee flights will cost the same meaning the consumer will need to top up the difference. Especially if they were promo fares.

......If you are given a voucher or credit for travel at a later date instead of a rebooking, be careful. There is no guarantee flights will cost the same meaning the consumer will need to top up the difference. Especially if they were promo fares.
I have been flying EZE/SFO on Avianca for the past 5 years. Great in-flight service, no baggage problems at either end, very convenient arrival time at SFO for pick-up. I bought my 2020 ticket (promo fare) in mid-Oct, 2019. Travel date for mid-April, returning in mid-June, 2020. I chose to take a voucher with a 12-month expiration date ending in mid-March, 2021. I was made fully aware that when I re-book I may be liable for additional fare charges. I plan to wait until February to re-book the flight. Yes, I am aware that they filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the US. Not an issue for me.

I also had a ticket with United/Lufthansa for early May, SFO/LED. I was given the choice of a voucher or a refund. I e-mailed the form requesting the refund. Last week I spoke to a UA rep who was working from home. She told me the refund would be credited to my CC by the end of this month.

Qatar Air plans to resume service to half its destination by the end of May. Thats welcome news except that one of those reopening cities, the nearest one to Argentina is Sao Paulo, Brazil is where C-19 is out of control and the daily death toll keeps setting new records. As much as I'd like to catch a Qatar flight to some exotic destination, I'd need a lot of convincing that their transit and final destinations are safe for travellers.

Back