Will the election increase expatrism?

I'm grateful for your reply, Stan. And I hope that you'll set up your own commentary, whether by blog or other form, on life abroad. When you do, please let me know its URL; I'd be glad to read it.

Stan, thanks for sharing your experience. I have no doubt that it is 100% true. I am surprised that there haven't been any American expats writing about how it is just as bad or worse in the US, how Argentines moving to the US are forced to pay bribes to customs officials etc.

Yes people from South America pay bribes and a lot worse. In the NY Times INS people were getting sex from women to keep them off the hit list. Only way it became public is a woman used her cell to tape the offer.

That being said if McCain and his nut job win we will be spending more time than we thought in Argentina. Its gone from 3 months to 6 a year and will be 9 or 10 if they win. Yes there are issues in Argentina but there are issues where ever you go. There are up sides to Argentina as to quality of life, etc.

Quoting "PK": ". . . . if McCain and his nut job win we will be spending more time than we thought in Argentina. Its gone from 3 months to 6 a year and will be 9 or 10 if they win. . . ."
Why would you retain American citizenship, PK, or not move entirely?

A true democracy is a lot more than just voting for one person. Argentina is not a real democracy.
In a democracy you have checks and balances like independent courts, functioning legislative bodies, multiple political parties, etc. Here in Argentina 4 or 5 people call all the shots. The courts and congress are not independent and with few exceptions take their orders from these people.
Whatever rights you think you have there can be withdrawn at the whim of the 4 or 5 people running the place. People trying compare this environment with the U.S. are just plain silly.

Stan, you seem to be assuming that people leaving leaving the USA because of Bush and the Republicans are doing so looking for the perfect place.That really isn't the case. I am not, and never will be, an Argentine citizen. I don't consider the politics of this place to be any of my affair.
With America, it's different. I do feel responsible for what America does. When we kidnap and torture people it's partially my fault, because these actions were sanctioned by a democratic society that I am part of , and were funded by my tax dollars. By leaving, I retain the ability to vote, but , since I can easily live on the amount of money that the US government exempts from taxes when earned abroad, I no longer support the government , and the people who enable the current government in the USA, financially. That's important to me.
Ken

EXACTLY !!! How come Ken "gets it" and the Repubs on here don't have a clue - hmmm. That's how I feel, I don't want my tax money going to all the evil the USA is involved in - it's that simple.

To answer the the question about the elections if The ********** ******** ********** ************ ** ********* ***** ******* ******** ****** ** ***** ********* **** Yapper win the election will there be more Americans turning into Expats? The answer is F**K YEAH !!! Can you imagine those 2 in charge ?!?!?! It'd be like sitting through an Abba Concert for eternity - too much for a human being to handle . Dudester (starting to sell his belongings in preparation for the big Exodus)

Ken, I guess I can see your point, the local government doesn't impact you so you don't care what they do.
You are right that you aren't a citizen there and it really isn't your problems. I'll bet there are situations you could get into in Argentina that would change your feelings. If you were in Germany in the thirties would you care about what was going on? My guess is that you would care and probably wouldn't have stayed there.
The discussion here is comparing the relative merits of the government in the U.S. with Argentina. Regardless of who wins the next election there the U.S. government is light years ahead of what passes for government in Argentina.
Wouldn't it make more sense if you are unhappy with the US government to remain and work for change? How does moving to Argentina address your concerns or fix the problems?

Ken and Dude, I am in your court. BTW, I like Abba!
Stan, I would rather expend my energy making a new and better life for myself than going up against the machine in hopes of bringing change.
Before we relocated to Argentina in 2005, we were told to import a car, we would be taxed 80% of the value of the vehicle. I have heard that several other times.
One other thing, if you are no longer living in Argentina, why do you bother to continue to bash the country on this message board? Surely, you have better and more productive things to do with your time.

Back